Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

This is a long shot on this forum, but I'm putting out the feelers. My wife and I have decided to invest in a Drift Boat. It will be used primarily to float the Rogue, but it will go anywhere i go fishing, from trout rivers in wyoming and montana to lakes in central oregon.

We looked at a base model boat local for about 2500 bucks. It would have done the job, had 2 sets of oars and a working trailer and anchor system. I was pretty stoked, but the wife wanted something with more bells and whistles, so she will be more motivated to come out in the boat. so the search continues, with the criteria for some comforts.

I rowed a 2002 clackacraft for a few years, so thats what I know and love. I'd prefer a glass boat but I'm open to aluminum.

Any leads on new or used boat dealers dealers in southern oregon would also be welcome.

I like 16ft boats

I like dry storage and a nice anchor system. Geared for fly fishing. etc etc.

Budget is around 5k, give or take.

No Hydes

Thanks yall, have a great one

Matt

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Dude your in the middle of all the best. Head out to 62 and vilas, go see willy!
I havent rowed one yet but know a couple guys that have pavatis and I havent heard a bad thing about em, you might have to sell the dog to buy one but you cant get more bells or whistles than a pavati (hell, they have a door!!) I think they are also in white city....

·
Registered
186 Posts
A great investment you will not regret, my wife goes a lot and loves it. I added a rear casting stanchion on mine a few years back and now would not do without one. It even makes for a nice backrest a couple times a day and does not get in the way of rowing. Also put in level floor in the front. Mine is a Koffler and they put in the casting brace, quite reasonable as well.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I hooe I didnt come off as rude in that, just a bit of sarcasm that gets lost in the typing... I just bought my first drifter and we have slim pickings in AK and I would always get online and droom over the nice boats and prices you have down in that area. Watch Craigslist, ive seen some amazing deals down there! Good luck and congrats!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I would check the web pages for each manufacturer and take a look at the used boat page. A quick check @ Ro Drift shows a couple of good options in your price range. Don't get hung up about location as the show season is just winding up and delivery can easily be coordinated. These guys are in the business of selling boats, they'll make you happy if you buy. Good Luck and enjoy !!!

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thnaks for the replies all. I contacted Pavati, sweet boats, but wow, a bit spendy for my needs. and will certainly take a look at the Willie, although he makes Aluminum boats only right?

Fred, My old Clacka had level floors and a rear knee brace for stand up casting with ease. it was such a nice boat. but i was guiding then, and needed the features in Jackson, WY or I'd never get hired.

Then there is this boat i just dug up in Klamath Falls. maybe time for a road trip...

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hooe I didnt come off as rude in that, just a bit of sarcasm that gets lost in the typing... I just bought my first drifter and we have slim pickings in AK and I would always get online and droom over the nice boats and prices you have down in that area. Watch Craigslist, ive seen some amazing deals down there! Good luck and congrats!
I'm checking CL twice a day, once when i wake up and once after work.

no offense taken at all, I got about as much sense of humor as anyone round here, and a thick skin too. years of working in the service industry, hehe.

Its real exciting to be looking for a boat. I had to sell my last one in 2005 or so, I miss her dearly. She was the 2001 Jackson Hole One Fly prize boat. My neighbor won it and made me a killer deal... fully kitted WF model, ugly color, but sweet boat

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
That one looks awesome and pretty much the exact boat I was looking for! Its a shame to see everyones opinion of hyde cause thats what I just bought!!:Eyecrazy: oh well, with the price range I had and what was available it seems like its going to be a perfect first boat for my needs! I hope you find the right one, and who knows I might be begging you for a ride sometime when I come visit the family!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Thnaks for the replies all. I contacted Pavati, sweet boats, but wow, a bit spendy for my needs. and will certainly take a look at the Willie, although he makes Aluminum boats only right?

Fred, My old Clacka had level floors and a rear knee brace for stand up casting with ease. it was such a nice boat. but i was guiding then, and needed the features in Jackson, WY or I'd never get hired.

Then there is this boat i just dug up in Klamath Falls. maybe time for a road trip...
Come take a look at my boat before you buy one.

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ended up buying the boat pictured above. 2004 Clackacraft WF. Great shape, trailer even nicer! Sweet colors too, not at all bling.

Stoked. First day out will probably be monday. Unless i get an offer for the weekend...

·
Registered
909 Posts
I ended up buying the boat pictured above. 2004 Clackacraft WF. Great shape, trailer even nicer! Sweet colors too, not at all bling.

Stoked. First day out will probably be monday. Unless i get an offer for the weekend...
Right on! I'm gonna get out Monday and review some LTS Rods. You'll love that boat!

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Right on! I'm gonna get out Monday and review some LTS Rods. You'll love that boat!
I used to row this same boat back in the early 200s. I do love it... the price was also very right. Whats the best place in the area to get a set of good counterbalanced oars?

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,118 Posts
Sawyer Paddles and Oars
299 Rogue River Pkwy.
Talent, OR.

They'll set you up with whatever you need or want.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts