Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have 350ish dollars burning a hole in my pocket, and I want to get a clicker for my Sage ONE 7136.

Vintage, used, new, doesn't matter.

Reels that have caught my interest:

Hardy Salmon 2
Speyco (I know this is prob out of the price range unless it is a dinger)
Leland Vintage Series
Ables

If you have any suggestions, or you are looking to offload a seldom used (or often used if you can manage) piece of gear, let me know!

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the PMs.

Another member pointed out that Leland is having a sale on their Steelhead Spey Reel.

I am going to try it out. If I hate it I will reach back out!

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
If you haven't already, just save yourself the hassle and get the Hardy, you will eventually. I learned the hard way its cheaper to do it sooner rather than later.

otherwise, enjoy the new reel and post pics of its drag.

·
Registered
492 Posts
If you haven't already, just save yourself the hassle and get the Hardy, you will eventually. I learned the hard way its cheaper to do it sooner rather than later.

otherwise, enjoy the new reel and post pics of its drag.
This man speaks the truth

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took your advice. Kind of.

I got a great deal on a Uniqua 4, and picked up the Leland Steelhead Spey all under the 350 mark.

I will take them both out and let you know what I think!

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
I took your advice. Kind of.

I got a great deal on a Uniqua 4, and picked up the Leland Steelhead Spey all under the 350 mark.

I will take them both out and let you know what I think!
There you go, thats the best of both worlds. I'd love to hear about the leland though, they look cool, want to see that guts.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yeah. Be nice to see the guts of those Leland spey reels. Mind you I already have Hardys, Islanders, Nautilus, Farlow, Sealey, and heaven knows how many other brands. So it is more out of curiousity. We are paying $30/100 to buy USD right now, so I guess it will be a lot of CDN shopping until things improve.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Insides of Battenkill IV, Hardy Uniqua No. 4, and Leland Sonoma Steelhead

Here they are. Sorry it took so long to get everything up. I have spent the past three weeks driving all over the country and fishing while I was at it.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Battenkill, Hardy Uniqua, Leland Sonoma Steelhead

Hardy Uniqua No. 4:
This is the reel I will be using on my Method 7119 switch rod. Has a good heft to it with an interesting sound and drag syste,. It is not a traditional click reel. It is a combination of a clicker and disk drag system that is fully adjustable on the outside of the reel. The drag doesnt seem strong, but it has an outside lip that makes it capable of palming. The reel is alos not particularly asthetically pleasing, but that it ok. I have no qualms about beating it up up a bit.

Orvis Battenkill IV:
This is the reel on my Z-Axis 5110. Great balance for the rod with a strong and internally adjustable spring. Even on the lightest setting the check is very strong. I think it may be a little strong for all but the largest trout. I would suggest messing with the spring a bit until you find the right setting for it. The reel is cheap and seems exceptionally built.

Leland Sonoma Steelhead:
Not worth the $99 I spent on it. The reel has an unimpressive finish on it, and my immediate impression is that is seems like a child's reel. At only 6oz, it is very light as well and will not balance the larger stick I was thinking of putting it on. The lack of a full frame was also strange on a reel of this size.

As a consolation, I traded another Sage reel I had on had, and the Leland for an Abel Spey non-ported in black. I will post those as well once it comes in.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Based on what I'm seeing there I would have just gone with the Salmon 2. Can't really go wrong with them. Assuming you get a Salmon 2 for a fair price it won't really depreciate much more over time, especially if English made.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Leland Sonoma

For what it's worth I had a similar experience with the Leland reel. Too light, not made well at all. The pawl chipped on it's first or second outing and it free spooled more or less. I got it on sale too, thinking it might be fun cheap reel, but it wasn't even worth the 99 bucks. I'd have been really bummed if I spend 200 on it. I'd avoid at all costs...

·
Registered
663 Posts
Are you still looking for a clicker reel?

I have one that I'm thinking about selling. I just got it back from Tim, today.

Dan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts