Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was originalkly lookin for a hardy but there kinda outta my budget so now i am looking for a reel that is big enough to hold a skagit head, running line,and backing with a click pawl drag system. I love the sound click pawl reels make. PM if u have something that would fit the bill, thanks

·
Registered
822 Posts
black & blue
the older hardy perfects are very hard to get in mint condition at a low price or a deal , every one who has a nice spey rod is looking for them as they have some soul in them for fishing,

if your looking for a good deal on a click and pawl reel , look for a older leaded finish 3 screw st john , they still a good deal for the buck and will work just fine for what you need , and if you just want a click and pawl for even less money , still grab a newer st john reel but from the 60's and up , i get them offered to me all the time for around $300 , next one i see , i'll send you a message to get on it if you want

dutchie
www.bowriveradventures.com

·
Registered
941 Posts
A wide drum JW Young just got away from me on an auction site. I've been adding a couple Youngs to the cabinet lately to fill in the bare spots :smokin: Fantastic reels for the money.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hi, Jamey
If you are talking about Dutch as a dealer, I think it's fair to say that he is a rabid collector and is always trading and buying reels to upgrade his own very large and exceptional collection. I have never met him but we talk on Skype almost daily about reels. He has pointed me in the direction of reels to acquire and that is what I believe he was suggesting in his post.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Hi, Jamey
If you are talking about Dutch as a dealer, I think it's fair to say that he is a rabid collector and is always trading and buying reels to upgrade his own very large and exceptional collection. I have never met him but we talk on Skype almost daily about reels. He has pointed me in the direction of reels to acquire and that is what I believe he was suggesting in his post.
Ditto on this. Rich was most helpful when I bought a nice perfect a short while ago. He's the man to know if you're looking for a particular reel. He also provides lots of help to aspiring collectors, on this forum and others.

·
Registered
396 Posts
NB Rob
to quote Rich "Do you want to trade something for that Perfect!!!" He is the Eveready Bunny of reel collecting.

·
VIRTUTIS.GLORIA.MERCES
897 Posts
A St. John would be a great choice. I love mine. I agree with Jamey .... $ 300is too steep a price to pay. Do your research and you should be able to find a nice one for $ 150-200 range. They are great reels. Dave

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
I recall a certain post by a very knowledgable forum member about prewar Perfects being made of "Unobtainium". Because the hype keeps them out of the reach of most of us.

They are Soooo hyped its silly. Its worse than the South FLA commuters that "NEED" an Abel to fish Tarpon in B. Bay.

A couple of shots in a movie and its like having a microwave oven in the early 80's.

Bling, Bling!

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Beyond the point of Perfects being more crazily speculated than Petrol.

While a St. John is a great reel, and I have landed many fish on them. It would be a horrible choice for anything over 11ft.

A point the Dutch M forgot to mention.

·
Registered
822 Posts
not all st john reels in the same value ,

a mint earlly st john in a leaded reel with 3 screws for $300 bucks, i'll take everyone you can find me , not a worn out one with all the finish gone ,

there is a big diff between a 2 screw and a 3 screw reel , or a leaded reel , or a cheep 2 screw st john can be had for less then $200

another st john that will cost you over $500 is a st john in a dural finish , thats the best st john to get and very hard to find to buy as most want to keep them ,

in a st john that's really rare , i have a 3 screw leaded with the bullet foot which you very rarely see and it has a special round line guide in agate , was done when the reel was ordered back from the 30's or 40's , only ever seen one other like it , and the value on it is well above the $500 and it won't be for sale as it has some serious soul in that reel , she'll be used on my meiser 456 classic highlander for throwing double wets on the bow

and i'm not trying to sell the guy a reel , couldn't care less and in truth i don't have one to sell , i was just offering to send him info when i see the next good deal , everyone likes a good deal , don't we all like to find a nice reel ,
dutchie
www.bowriveradventures.com

·
Registered
822 Posts
jamie
the so called hype you talk about , it's because most of them reels are special , maybe not in your mind or maybe not in your taste and if i was a betting man i'd say your just to cheep to even spend your money on a good reel that has some soul in it , and if you don't understand what i'm talking about with the soul in a reel , then you never will get it

the hype is there as thats what the public demand , and when you can't find them or buy them , that just about says it all why it's a '' hype''

C

·
0 Posts
heh heh

well now....this just got interesting. I happen to know that Jamey fushes a pretty soulful 4in Julius Vom Hofe.....and I seem to remember him busting me on a couple of reel deals here that were for some pretty special winches....

·
Registered
424 Posts
What no love for the Marquis'? Black and Blue you may want to consider a Marquis 1 ,2 or 3 depending on the rod you intend to use it on. Whether it be an older one or a newer one. Great reels, simple design, get the job done. I fish perfects and lots of other reels, hardy as well as others, but find myself locking in my Marquis 2 more and more these days. Save a few pennies and there certainly within a reasonable budget.
Hey Rich. That 3 3/4 1912 you recently aquired? Think I saw a picture of it in a dictionary next to the word "SOUL". One of the nicest reels I think Ive ever seen. If that reel doesnt get a person "hyped" up then I give up....... Kevin

·
Ghetto caster
711 Posts
jamie
if i was a betting man i'd say your just to cheep to even spend your money on a good reel that has some soul in it , and if you don't understand what i'm talking about with the soul in a reel , then you never will get it
I feel for you Rich. You haven't been around here long enough to know what the hell you're talking about.

This will get messy...

·
Registered
822 Posts
hey don't feel for me ,

i'v been around long enough to know what a good 3 screw leaded finish st john is worth ,

the guy who did the post was just asking for opinions on click and pawls , everyone has a opinion , and he can take mine with a grain of salt , it's only my opinion , but i'll still say a 3 screw leaded reel mint is well worth $300 , and thats not with any hype added into the price

1 - 19 of 19 Posts