Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents--

I'm looking for a modern (1950+) cane spey rod. Anyone have one kicking around they don't use? I do know that Poppy has one for sale...jsut seeing what else is out there.

AND

I really want a grant vibration-type greenheart rod. Anyone have one they'd sell. The one from Clan is too much coin for me.

Thanks--

Joe West

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
You won't beat the one Poppy has for sale....there is nothing like a spliced cane spey rod.

That is of course unless he is selling his Bob Clay Riverwatch:whoa: :whoa: :whoa: You're not selling that are you Mike?????

If you are serious about a vibration. Give John Mathers a call. He owns Highfields near Ladysmith on Vancouver Island. Last cane spey I bought off of him, he had two Vibrations left.

Paul

·
Registered
618 Posts
brooklynangler,
There is a big difference between a Grant Vibration Rod and a Playfairs Grant Vibration rod, the Playfairs where made in there thousands and you will see them at times on a well known auction site in the UK, there is no real value in the Playfairs, and if kept indoors for any length of time, will snap like a twig.
The Real Vibration rod, well thats another thing altogether.
Gordon.

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dear Gordon--

Many thanks. I am just a bit curious how rods made of the same materials (I'm assuming this) could be so different in their longevity/strength. Did Grant use a unique glue or varnish or some other build process ? Do you have evidence of Playfairs' greenheart rods failing catastrophically? Is there some difference in the taper?

I ask this in good faith and much appreciate your response.

--- Joe

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I am biased.If I buy a cane rod[and I will someday] it will be from Bob Clay.I have known him for a fair number of years.I lived in his house for a month after spending a couple of months in a steelhead camp next door to him.I have tested his rods each year for 5yrs. They get better every year.And the Skagit lines are really great for these rods.They are prime time now.He is a class guy and cares about his product.I can't imagine getting any other cane rod!!They have his soul in them.He lives on the best pool on the Kispiox.I caught my first Kispiox Steel just below his house [before it was built]!They have the soul of the Kispiox and the Dean and any other river from which he extracts some burl wood for the reel seat.If you are a steelheader[really a steelheader!!! And if you are,you know what that means!!!] and you want a cane rod you would be stupid to get anything else!!!! Think I need another beer?!!!

Beau

1 - 6 of 6 Posts