·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy

ELIXIR 300 @ 27 FT. Full Line (FOR 5/6 SWITCH ROD)-unsure
ELIXIR 325 @ 27 FT. Full Line (FOR 5/6 SWITCH ROD)-unsure

TONIC 325 @ 22.5 FT. (FOR 5/6 SWITCH ROD)-1

But not sure due to my ignorance what the difference is in relation to the 300 and 325 reference I am assuming this is grain weight, Does 25 grains if that is the case make that much difference and the ft. reference is the head length.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yup, you got it. 300 is for the grain rating & 27 is for the head length.

I have a platinum switch 6wt that I use a 320 grain Scandi head (rated #5, not #6) with & it performs great. Good luck with your search :)

·
Banned
879 Posts
Depends on the rod and what you like to feel in a scandi delivery. If you're new to the game it usually works better to be on the heavier side, IMO...even if it's only 25 grns.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New is an Understatement

Depends on the rod and what you like to feel in a scandi delivery. If you're new to the game it usually works better to be on the heavier side, IMO...even if it's only 25 grns.
Still sh..ting Green on this one boys..Keep it sipmple an help me out..

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
The Elixir is a scandi-taper: The Tonic is a Skagit(compact)-taper. If you purchased both at 325 grains then you would notice the difference between the two in that the Elixir will cast tapered sinking leaders and unweighted flies, while the Tonic will cast those, heavier sink-tips and weighted flies more easily. So the difference in each line is the taper, not so much the grains. Find the grains weight that loads the rod and works for you and go from there.

·
Banned
879 Posts
Agree with fishOn...

BackE, if you're referring to the Beulah classic 5/6 rod in regards to the Elixir, I liked the Elixir 295 (original) but a friend who used the rod needed another 30 grns to feel the rod load.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do you achieve desired Grain Wt.

Agree with fishOn...

BackE, if you're referring to the Beulah classic 5/6 rod in regards to the Elixir, I liked the Elixir 295 (original) but a friend who used the rod needed another 30 grns to feel the rod load.

Can these be custom built and is Nymphing an option with this set up.. Or will it be difficult

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Should Have been Clearer

This Rod is a 5/6 Beulah Classic 10' 6" Switch Thinking on Matching it with my # 4 Ross Momentum... But for reels there are many options from Hardy's to Lamsons to More Hardy's LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts