Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Water Frother
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some fly line backing to put on my new steelhead reel. I'm thinking about 150 yds will do but I'll buy more if I have too. 20 or 30 lb would be fine. Anyone one have some they would like to get rid of? New or in good used condition.

Thanks,
-Eli

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
You should be able to go to any 'larger' sporting goods store and ...

Just purchase same, mailing would really run up the cost.

And welcome to the board!

Fred

·
Water Frother
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome Fred.

I was hoping to save a few bucks as I was looking at a cost of about 20 bucks for 200yds of backing. Why the hell is this stuff so expensive, its just rope.

I might just buy some dacron ice fishing line and throw it on there. Its less than half the cost and I dont know that there's a difference, other that one is marketed for fancy fly fishermen..

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Thanks for the welcome Fred.

I was hoping to save a few bucks as I was looking at a cost of about 20 bucks for 200yds of backing. Why the hell is this stuff so expensive, its just rope.

I might just buy some dacron ice fishing line and throw it on there. Its less than half the cost and I dont know that there's a difference, other that one is marketed for fancy fly fishermen..
You can take that one to the Bank! Amazing what you can purchase at a good 'craft store' that's half the price of similar products at a fly shop.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I've got 150 yards of 20lb that came on a reel spool, I was gonna get rid of it anyways since I plan on using the reel for steelhead out west soon and feel more comfortable using 30lb. Send me some flies and I'll send it your way when I'm home next

·
Water Frother
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got 150 yards of 20lb that came on a reel spool, I was gonna get rid of it anyways since I plan on using the reel for steelhead out west soon and feel more comfortable using 30lb. Send me some flies and I'll send it your way when I'm home next
I dont have any steelhead flies and you really dont want any trout flies that I've tied. I'm one of those rare fly guys that goes out with one half full box of flies. Thanks for the offer though!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Cabela's Prestige White Fly Line Backing $6.99 for 100yds 20# or 200 yds 30# $11.99. Very good dacron backing at a very good price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts