Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I lost my supplier gal in Australia for these Aussie Possum Hides I use for tying Steelhead flies. She moved from Australia to FL. Does anyone know of a supplier for these hides? I've searched for a long time with no results. Any help will be greatly appreciated. BTW, there are some fly tying supply houses offering small AP patches for sale; however, I am looking for the whole hide or hides.

·
I'm not fat I'm big boned
331 Posts
The shop in Edwardsburg, MI has them.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks, guys

Shame on me, as I have not been in either of those shops for over a year now. I just contacted Glen Blackwood at his shop in Rockford and am waiting on his reply. BTW, Manchu, I phoned Lunkers and was told by lady that they do not carry any Aussie Possum Hides. Their Web Site leaves much to be desired IMO. Thanks again for your help.

·
I'm not fat I'm big boned
331 Posts
Wasn't sure about site rules so I didn't mention the name as I work in the shop. Being the situation, I can tell you we do carry and sell them. Call and ask for someone working in the fly shop and they can help you. Glen also has a great selection as well and has a first rate shop and staff to work with so yo have a couple of choices to go with.

Jeff

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Manchu

Please PM or e-mail me as to next time you are going to be at the shop and I'll make it a point to come by and see you. Thanks much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Aussie Possum Hide/Supplier

The reason you haven't found it is this animal is protected in Australia, but a real pest in New Zealand. Check out www.Eco-LuxuryFur.com to read the complete (and interesting) story. This Oregon company has product available.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Price competative?

The reason you haven't found it is this animal is protected in Australia, but a real pest in New Zealand. Check out www.Eco-LuxuryFur.com to read the complete (and interesting) story. This Oregon company has product available.
This is very close to home for me. It appears to be being sold as a "designer/luxury" fur. Is their price reasonable/comparable/competative to sources for fly tying?

Rick

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can only give estimate of value by what I am finding out

Rick, the fur used in the fur apparel industry is most of the time prime cuts and yes, most always very pricey for our just cutting these hides into 1/8" and 1/4" strips for fly tying. Thanks to some of the folks on this site I have connected to several sources. The ones that are set aside as tanned and for fly tying are ranging from $25 to $35 USD. The ones I have looked at from the fur apparel have been in excess of $50 each and up to near $100. Obviously I cannot justify spending that much for a piece of premium top quality fur just to slit it up. I have had and am still getting responses from many folks who have plugged me into some good suppliers, such as Jeff, Seth, and Chrys. I used to buy these 6 or 7 tanned hides at a time and spent $25-$30 for the lot(doubt that they were prime, top quality pelts however). As they say, "Live in the past, it's cheaper." Thanks to all for the leads as I do appreciate the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts