Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Bill, just pop down to Sportsmans in Farmington. Unless somebody local has one it will end up being really costly for someone to ship you one ever if they would give it to you for free!

You could always just make one. Fill a small empty coffee can with concrete.

Steve

·
Registered
520 Posts
I just go to the local Play It Again sports shop and buy a used 15-25lb dumbbell, cut the bar off on both ends, drill a hole, thread the hole, LokTite in an eyebolt, and Bingo, there's your anchor. Best of all, for a bit of handywork, the anchor is generally about .50 per pound.

Jim

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good luck with a used one.

I got one from green-anchors dot com
Nice guy out of Montana that will ship for reasonable price in weight I wanted.
Suggest you call him for inventory.

Personally I'd be cautious with odd shapes as it would be a nightmare to get it caught up under a rock after it slides on the bottom while trying to hold in current.

Works well on the Kodiak WM. 13lb is the sweet spot to hold in minor current and not be too heavy. He had one for me. 15 lb tops for easy pull up. Have success with the trapezoid shape.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Personally I'd be cautious with odd shapes as it would be a nightmare to get it caught up under a rock after it slides on the bottom while trying to hold in current.
Agreed. Composition of the bottom makes all the difference. Mostly smaller rocks, gravel, and sand where I fish. Some of the rivers in Maine look like someone dumped in old headstones - big to huge, angular rocks that overlap, creating big, deep, anchor-eating pockets. Had a guide tell me he lost two anchors in one trip on the West Branch of the Penobscot. Every guide I have fished with there carries a spare.

Jim

·
Registered
189 Posts
I bought a lead down rigger ball for my pontoon boat. Then, because of concern for lead in the streambed, I used old cross sections from tire chains for a grader or loader. Being in Durango, go to the local hiway department shop and ask if they have some worn out links. Thread them on a carabineer and you have a great anchor that won't hang up easily.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anchor

WOW!---Thanks got the great feedback on my Anchor Quest!---I'll start checking out some of your ideas

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts