Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to the Bahamas this fall. Trying to get all my ducks in a row. I would like to buy another 8wt reel. I was thinking of a sealed drag bauer. I plan on using this a on 8'8 Seele glass rod and a Sage Xi3 so nothing to light.

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
122 Posts
Re: 8 WT Reels

I have a Tibor Everglades Moss Green carried in the boat bag as a backup but otherwise as new $450. And I have a Tibor Signature 8/9 Royal Blue new in the box $600. Prices include PP fees and CONUS shipping.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the offer, I should of mentioned my budget is $375 or lower

Thanks
Bob

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Right now you can get Danielsson L5W 8-12 directly form Sweden ( $ 25 shipping, 7 days delivery via Swedish Postal Service) for $ 235 ( no VAT tax outside Euro Zone) and for $ 360 Anti-reverse Control 8-13.

The best fully sealed modern reels on the market. When Danielsson was selling reels in the past reels via Loop Tackle or dealers they were selling for $ 600-800.......

Now, directly from the factory, at promo-discount, they are very inexpensive, considering a strong $

They sealed drag system have been well proven for over 15 years.

Search "Danielsson Fly Reels" on www.

You can also search speypages too.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Get the Tibor!!!
Kidding as its more than you want to spend. I respect that but man is the everglades a sweet reel! I put the one I bought through a month of salt on Abaco. Highly recomended. Bought mine off a member here.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a Galvan T-8 only used on two trips to Alaska for silvers and an extra spool. Both in silver and great condition.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had several offers, some very good. Plus I am still thinking about the Daneilsson for $260 shipped. I have never fished for bones before. I have read the the diameter of the reel is important for fast line pick ups. How true is this. the Daneilsson hasa diameter of 4 1/4. Someone offer me a Abel 3N at a very nice price but it is on 3 3/4. The Tibor and Galvan fall in between.

I should also mention I do have one reel to take already, I have owned a Bauer MX4 for several years for Great lakes trib fishing. I just want to have two reels just in case.

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have had several offers, some very good. Plus I am still thinking about the Daneilsson for $260 shipped. I have never fished for bones before. I have read the the diameter of the reel is important for fast line pick ups. How true is this. the Daneilsson hasa diameter of 4 1/4. Someone offer me a Abel 3N at a very nice price but it is on 3 3/4. The Tibor and Galvan fall in between.

I should also mention I do have one reel to take already, I have owned a Bauer MX4 for several years for Great lakes trib fishing. I just want to have two reels just in case.

Thanks
Bob
Honestly it seems those are all really good choices. I would want a reel that can be palmed as well, not sure if all the Danielsons have that option.As far as pickup is concerned, all those reels will do fine. My vote is for the tibor, personally, they are real flats workhorses. Has a good weight to it as well.

It's pretty common for a bonefish to run back to you fast, or run across so you will be reeling like crazy regardless of spool size. A good size bone will have you worrying about the arbor knot you chose. Super fun! You are going to love it. I suppose it comes down to whether you want a sealed drag or not.

Check out the site diy bonefishing some good articles on there. Where are you heading to in the Bahamas?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks,
we are going to Eleuthera. We are sharing a house with my sister and her husband. This is good for me as my wife and sit on the beach with them as I fish.

Bob

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
I can personally confirm that, for bones, the Daniellson (as previously advised) won't let you down - light-weight, large arbor, bomb-proof, sealed drag with great & graduated stopping power.

I was fortunate to encounter literally dozens of lightning fast runs to over 70m from these sea-bound missiles, and the HD 6-9 (an older model) I used was perfect for the job in Los Roques.

Mike

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
I would want a reel that can be palmed as well, not sure if all the Danielssons have that option.
Yes, absolutely can be palmed.. including the Control.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
The drag system on newer H5D and L5W is the same and even better then on an older models. It comprising of 10 composite ( rullon with hard alloy: bronze powers) disks and 9 stainless, providing a very smooth performance. The composite disks are virtually indestructible and with little pressure from cap springs can generate huge stopping power if needed. There are 5 levels, which can be alter and L5W comes with level 4 . Level lower level, more gradual changes of resistance and lower max resistance. The drag operate form O to 300 degree.

At level 4 max. resistance can stop a large una. That level is similar to and old H5D.

At level 5 the reel can battle a Whale........

For Chinooks Level 3 is sufficient and for Steelhead level 3 or 2.

The change of the drag level is done by deactivating composite plates in the drag package which was introduced in 2008/2009, well before other reel makers like Hatch started to copy it.

The boys in Danielsson are engineers/anglers who designed in the past on a large industrial machines. In case like this there is no room for error and less moving parts, better. The same philosophy can be found in their modern, machine made reel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hatch 7+

I have never fished a danielson reel. However I can offer my opinion on hatch. I have a 7+ and I have caught many bones on it as well as many steelhead. It has stood through all my adventures and I am very happy with the performance. There are many great reels out there. This happens to be one of my facorites.

There is a hatch 7+ for sale right now by ssand. It is slightly above your price range but thought you may consider. I Hope this helps out. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=177073

Grant

1 - 17 of 17 Posts