Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
REEL FOUND. THANKS EVERYONE. Leaving the thread up as there's information people can use.

I'm trying to source a reel for a buddy as he has a 14' 7/8 rod that needs a reel.

Looking for the following but open to suggestions/offers:
1. 10-12oz
2. Click/pawl (but drag will be considered)
3. decent condition (structurally and mechanically sound)
4. serviceable (either by manufacturer or Archuleuta, etc)

The fine details:
1. Budget $400-475USD shipped to Toronto, Ontario (M4P 2A5)
2. PayPal
3. 3 day return priviledge (return shipping at my expense)

Example reels:
Hardy Bougle MKVII 4", Speyco 4", etc.

Thanks in advance. PM me with offers and/or questions.

Cheers,
Preston

·
Registered
199 Posts
4" reel

If you like vintage, I have a beautiful 4" dingley for William Robertson. Comes in at 11.25 oz. stamped D2. Would come in under budget. $360. Can send pics if interested. Just shoot me your email. Also gave a 4" farlow as well. The dingley is much nicer though.

Gary

·
Banned
571 Posts
Did someone say Dingley?

I would skip the Speyco 4" idea if you are looking for a lighter reel. My 4" Speyco Skagit comes in at 17.8 ounces lined for an 8 wt rod, and my Cascapedia 10/11 weighs a wee bit more lined with a Delta Spey 9/10 for a 9 wt rod. Cheers, Buff. A nice Dingley is a grand reel, BTW. I have one from the 1920s and it sounds fantastic engaged in a battle!

·
Registered
577 Posts
$343 Sale starts today.

Sorry to be contradictory Buff but my 4" skagits are not 17.8 Oz. The originals from 2007 maybe fully lined up. My brass faced reel weight is only 16 OZ.

The 2014 skagit weight starts at 11.5 Oz and works up from that point using brass or titanium.

I am running my $343 shipped sale effect today, until a run out of silver skagit spools. So thats a 4" Skagit sandblast & silver plate wind ONLY

with choice of:
Brass or silver hardware
Bone or Black fat handle
left ,right wind.

PLEASE NOTE: that this photo is of a special sandblasted frame, sale reels will have a silver frame. I will see if I can dig up a photo but I am late to the shop already.

If interested call my cell 1-920-227-5574 if I miss the call I WILL call back chances are I am in my deep sea diving equipment or just PM me your paypal email and info and build requirements I will send a discounted invoice.

God bless

·
Administrator
2,449 Posts
Great reels and a great buy. To the OP...I own 5 or so Speyco's...a couple earlier models and a few new ones...and love every one of them. Great function, great sound and Tim's 100% hands on approach keep me coming back. I personally would recommend a Speyco for your needs.

Sorry to be contradictory Buff but my 4" skagits are not 17.8 Oz. The originals from 2007 maybe fully lined up. My brass faced reel weight is only 16 OZ.

The 2014 skagit weight starts at 11.5 Oz and works up from that point using brass or titanium.

I am running my $343 shipped sale effect today, until a run out of silver skagit spools. So thats a 4" Skagit sandblast & silver plate wind ONLY

with choice of:
Brass or silver hardware
Bone or Black fat handle
left ,right wind.

PLEASE NOTE: that this photo is of a special sandblasted frame, sale reels will have a silver frame. I will see if I can dig up a photo but I am late to the shop already.

If interested call my cell 1-920-227-5574 if I miss the call I WILL call back chances are I am in my deep sea diving equipment or just PM me your paypal email and info and build requirements I will send a discounted invoice.

God bless

·
Banned
571 Posts

with choice of:
Brass or silver hardware
Bone or Black fat handle
left ,right wind.

God bless
FINALLY! Something I said was correct, according to Tim. Tim, you may have forgotten that I do indeed have an older Skagit, brass foot, S-handle, first model according to you, and fully lined with an Airflo Delta Long 8/9 it hits my postal scale at 17.8 ounces. A lovely reel to use, simple but beautifully built, good workmanship obvious throughout, balances my 12' Sharpe Scottie perfectly. Can't speak for your newer reels, and I have one of those. Brand new in fact. Regards, Buff. *Good to see that wrx_canoe found a reel!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Great Reels

I've got a couple 4" Speyco Skagits as well. One early model and one more recent. They balance a 13'-2" 7wt and a 12' 7wt bamboo in my collection. Keep in mind that the bulk of the line/head weight on the reel and balancing is only a factor when not fishing. Not sure what you will be putting the reel on but a 14' rod could probably use a bit of weight on the reel side....just my humble opinion.

Cheers,
ST

1 - 7 of 7 Posts