Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a large dingley to balance out a 8/9 Scottie.
Any leads would be great.

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
651 Posts
Looking for a large dingley to balance out a 8/9 Scottie.
Any leads would be great.
I would advise that this 4 inch Dingley made Shapes Salmon Perfect style reel is an ideal match for a 12 or 13 foot Sharpes cane rod.
I use a 4 1/2 inch Hardy Salmon Perfect with my Sharpes spliced 15 footer and a 3 3/4 or a 4 inch diameter reel with my 12 footer. Cane or graphite switch or spey rods don’t balance out like a 7 foot trout rod. When you are casting and mending 70 to 100 feet of line with your Sharpes 12 footer, the tip is not going to feel balanced with 50 or more feet of line dangling out towards the portion of the line in the water that you’re leading through the downstream drift and then the swing through the run with the currents resistance.
The upper handle is designed to hold in different positions while casting, from the top with your fore finger around the base of the cane when wading shallow, to the lower portion when you’re wading in waist deep water. When holding the handle while mending, leading, and fishing the fly, the upper hand slides down to the middle portion of the handle with the forearm resting on the handle with the elbow extended past the reel onto the lower handle. With the approximate 17 inch grip from your forefinger to your elbow, bracing the rod, it is quite comfortable to hold while elevated or held horizontal over the water while fishing.
Regards from the Restigouche....Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would advise that this 4 inch Dingley made Shapes Salmon Perfect style reel is an ideal match for a 12 or 13 foot Sharpes cane rod.
I use a 4 1/2 inch Hardy Salmon Perfect with my Sharpes spliced 15 footer and a 3 3/4 or a 4 inch diameter reel with my 12 footer. Cane or graphite switch or spey rods don’t balance out like a 7 foot trout rod. When you are casting and mending 70 to 100 feet of line with your Sharpes 12 footer, the tip is not going to feel balanced with 50 or more feet of line dangling out towards the portion of the line in the water that you’re leading through the downstream drift and then the swing through the run with the currents resistance.
The upper handle is designed to hold in different positions while casting, from the top with your fore finger around the base of the cane when wading shallow, to the lower portion when you’re wading in waist deep water. When holding the handle while mending, leading, and fishing the fly, the upper hand slides down to the middle portion of the handle with the forearm resting on the handle with the elbow extended past the reel onto the lower handle. With the approximate 17 inch grip from your forefinger to your elbow, bracing the rod, it is quite comfortable to hold while elevated or held horizontal over the water while fishing.
Regards from the Restigouche....Jim

Thanks for the info Jim alway appreciate it.
I have a 3 3/4 dingley perfect on it at the moment just feel like it could use a little more weight.

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
651 Posts
Table Wood Tableware Gas Automotive tire
Thanks for the info Jim alway appreciate it.
I have a 3 3/4 dingley perfect on it at the moment just feel like it could use a little more weight.
Well, the 4 inch Dingley made Sharpes Perfect style reel that Upstate is offering would be the best choice for you then. I use the same reel with my 12 foot Scotty and it carries enough backing with an Wulff 80 foot TT head, to handle a “runaway train”.
Another favourite to pair with my 12 foot Scotty, is the Hardy 4 inch Bougle. Extra spools are available for this handsome reel which allow you to have a variety of lines on standby to deal with different presentations for steelies and salmon.
Regards from the Restigouche.....Jim

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a smokin 4 1/8 Walter dingley made for Alex Martin. Thistle model, no line guide, bullet foot. Nearly all leading still remains. I’d be willing to sell. Pm me if interested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts