Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in purchasing a 10' 4wt for Chironomid fishing this spring. I'm not too sure of all the manufacturers that had a rod of this configuration in their line-up - so if you have one that you don't use, anymore - drop me a line.

Thanks in advance!
Huw.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi,
You may already know this but I found that 4wt rods are too light for BC trout, even when chironomid fishing. My go to rod is a 6wt GLX 10footer. You'll like connect into large Kamloops and will want the stiffer rod for a variety of good reasons.

My two cents,
Gordon

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that, Gordon.

However, 95% of my fishing is done near my home on Vancouver Island - and a 4 weight is more than adequate - as a large stillwater fish here runs about 25''.

However - when I do journey into the interior - I still prefer my 4 weights and find a 6 weight more stick than necessary.

Everyone's mileage seems to vary on that one, though!
Thanks again!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Given that he is from Vancouver Island and the trout on the Island are on average quite a bit smaller than interior B.C. trout, and assuming he is going to be fishing the island lakes much more than the interior lakes, I personally think the 4wt will be much better suited to the task than a 6wt.

·
Hooked4life
2,085 Posts
Guideline offers in it's LeCie model range, 10 footers running from 3 wt. to 8 wt.

The 4 wt. version is a medium fast action in three sections. I have the 3 wt. medium action version and it's a sweetheart. Some of the members in the Canadian Fly Fishing team are using this same LeCie 3 wt. as their Czech nymph rods. Talk to M&Y about ordering a 4 wt. if you wish. One nice thing, it's a real 4 wt., not a 5 wt. in disguise.

·
Registered
423 Posts
sage has a really great 10 foot 4 weight

the Z axis ten foot four weight is really a great rodd,that is coming from a guy who has in the past never even given the sage line a chance. i'm a confirmed G Loomis fan. but recently i cast this rod and i'd take it to our Erie tribs and swing/dead drift for some fun and feel completely safe, i mean the butt on the rodd is what you use to fight fish and on rods 10' and over usually you have a hellish butt.Also theres a 11' 5 weight z axis switch.But i think my income tax return will be buying my first Meiser 15 ' four weight spey.Bob has one hes been tweaking and i really think that rod will work great on The Lehigh as well as the Delaware River where i use my G loomis Trout Spey.
hope this helps
Rick Wallace

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All ready offered him my 10' 4wt z.

He's looking for something a little more affordable
Yeah - my one lament in life is that I'm not a richer man - am I the only one who feels like that?
Ha ha - didn't think so!

Anybody have a 1004-4 Scott E2 they'd let go for a reasonable price?

·
Registered
207 Posts
E2

I have one, but you can't have it! Hahaha. Awesome rod. Have you checked out the new Greys rods? The streamflex series has 10 foot 3, 4 and 5 weight rods. I think if you google it you'll find they're resonable. Under 300.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts