Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if some of the experts here can help me. I have a new CTS 5wt switch rod that I've built, and I took it out fishing a couple weeks ago, and wanted some input on the way it casts.

I have the 6wt Rio Scandi Versitip on it. I realize this may be a little heavy for the rod to use it as a Scandi line, but I figure that when considering the head as a 305 grain skagit-like head to cast the tips it should be good.

When I cast the line, I can get good casts if I get my timing down and have the head and the entire tip in my D loop leaving just the flies in the water as an anchor. Now if I try to form a D loop with just the head and leave the tip in the water, there seems to be no power to pull the tip out of the water.

Could this be a sign that the line is either too heavy or too light? Could it be the action of the rod not being suited to skagit casting? Given this info with the combined head and tip weight of 370, what would be recommended if I was to buy a rio scandi head for swinging dry flies?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
have you tried it with a mono leader or a light poly yet?

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
yeah, I looked at the CTS specs, and the Affinity 5 wt only wants max 275 gr.

It could be cast as you have it, but not nicely or easily. Do you have much DH casting experience?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I've seen that too. I've been in touch with them and that recommendation of 200-275 grains is based on overhead casting, so I figured the weight range I'm in should be good for a skagit line.

I don't have a lot of experience, just enough to catch fish :)

·
I only have 2 hands
176 Posts
Fishpro what you mention there about buying a lighter scandi head for dry work is a good plan. In my experience the lighter the two hander the tougher it is to match multi tip lines to it. You can still throw lighter steamers and soft hackles too with a well matched dry line. I would shoot for the 240-ish grain range..........

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I took the rod out to the field tonight and tested a couple lines on it. First I tried the Rio Scandi Versitip at 370 grains, and then also an Airflo 40+ 7wt which I believe comes in at 284 grains. They both seemed to cast nicely, although had much different feel to them. Perhaps they will both be suitable depending on the desired purpose.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
There you go, keep going lighter till you feel the sweet spot for you!

Beulah makes a 245 gr Elixir that might be really nice on that rod.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts