Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
An Associated Press article in the local paper identified Finland-based Rapala VMC Corporation as the world’s largest tackle manufacturer.

“America’s 44.3 million anglers generate about $41.5 billion in retail sales annually, including $4.4 billion in total spending on tackle and related equipment, and $597 million on lures, flies and artificial baits…” stated the article’s author Steve Karnowski.

Rapala worldwide sales are about $200 million, 1/3 in the US. The company employs 3,000 people in 19 countries.

Its lures emphasize cosmetics to catch fishermen plus the ability to catch fish according to Jarmo Rapala, the founder's grandson. The fishing manager of a Cabela’s store in Minnesota says Rapala’s deep diving Glass Shad Rap are so pretty that some customers buy full sets and remove the hooks just for display. A local inn owner says the lures are more about catching the eye of the fisherman than catching a fish, saying, “...the [cosmetic] technology has surpassed the fishology.”

Some thoughts:

Hide this article from my wife so she doesn’t learn I spend $937 per year fishing. [41,500,000,000 / 44,300,000].

Displaying lures, hard to imagine.

I thought a Rapala was a knot.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
dunno

people are still looking for the old wiggle warts before Rapala bought them out,even though the diving lips are perfect on every one of the Rapala's ,a slight bit less action,,,side to side,i thought Daiwa was the biggest,and Sage had the biggest account balance:hehe:

·
Registered
640 Posts
Shucks, Bob...

You should just tell her about the rest of us! If you're down to $937 per year, and still on this forum, you might be a cheapskate instead of an addict:chuckle:

Carl

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.