Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Hooked4life
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you know what your fly is doing when you're not looking?

Short of swimming after it, is there any way we can cast and swing our fly with reasonable confidence that it is doing what we hoped?

Yes there is. A basic understanding of the hydrodynamic affects of current on our lines, sinktips, leaders and flies allows us to move beyond just chucking it out there and hoping for the best. With reasonable certainty we can make predictions on what the fly is actually doing and make changes to our tackle with a clear idea of what those changes will do.

Back in college, I took fluid dynamics, so it's finally time to put it to some use.
I'm offering a Workshops on the River, Understanding Hydrodynamic Affects on the Swung Fly at Bean Park, Paris, Ontario, Sunday, October 26th between 1:00PM and 3:00PM, cost $20.00

Please register at [email protected]

Hope to see you there . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
766 Posts
Sounds Great Peter, way to far away to attend.

Hope your going to video tape the whole presentation.

Best Regards,
sixheads

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'll buy the podcast. Sounds really interesting.
Unfortunately the clinic is 5 provinces away from me.
If not a podcast, bring it west.
:)

·
JD
3,612 Posts
Long overdue

It's about time someone started talking about this. Casting techniques ad infinitum is all you ever hear at the various spey claves. Will you be discussing line handling (mending) and it's effect on the fly as well?

·
Hooked4life
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's about time someone started talking about this. Casting techniques ad infinitum is all you ever hear at the various spey claves. Will you be discussing line handling (mending) and it's effect on the fly as well?
Yup, managing speed and depth through tension and angles will be part of it.

·
JD
3,612 Posts
Hey,

Would love to learn about this. How about a book or a video for those of us in the upper left hand corner?
If you live in the upper left corner, you're expected to know this. Same as those born in Scotland know how to cast a two hander. :chuckle:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
If you ever do/consider this for Oregon/Southern Washington State

I'd even pay for the plane ticket/rental car to be there.
:smokin:

·
Hooked4life
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would love to learn about this. How about a book or a video for those of us in the upper left hand corner?
I'm sorry, but you left coast guys are all born knowing this, so I have to keep it confined to the Great Lakes. Y'know, where we're all born knowing how to fish with worms, or roe, or other stinky, icky things. ;)

Actually, I have no idea what I going to do with it beyond Sunday. We'll see how that goes and take it from there.

·
Lucky Bastard
740 Posts
Hey Fred how about I go to Peters class and then you can buy me the ticket and I will do an," on the river of your choice", complete review of all of Peters secrets. Just a thought:hihi:

Scott:smokin:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Seriously Peter, I am willing to bet there would be a tremendous amount of interest in this. How many fly tying books or casting videos do we all own? How many books or videos on the fly in the water? This is something I think of a lot but don't have the knowledge of hydrodynamics to have a clue! Please think about a follow up for the rest of us.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Let's talk about that .....

Hey Fred how about I go to Peters class and then you can buy me the ticket and I will do an," on the river of your choice", complete review of all of Peters secrets. Just a thought:hihi:

Scott:smokin:
We're at what I call 'tween-season's' here on the upper Rogue. Late in the day for Summer Runs and the last of the Fall kings. Next real push on the upper river won't happen until late January/Feb.

That said .... The Coastal King run will kick into gear in about a month, ditto winter run Steelhead. :smokin: Only time I've gone to a 9wt rod and heavy leader; and been times when that wasn't enough.

fae

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
I too would love to attend, but works commitments & 3000+ miles away rather upsets such considerations.

I'm sure it will be a great learning experience & wish all the best for the attendees!

Mike

·
Hooked4life
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to all that made it out to my first Workshop on the River.

A very blustery day and the sun only made it out at the end. The next time we run this, I'll do it when it's warm!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
What rod are you holding in that photo in your original post?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts