Spey Pages banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Pull down with the elbows on the forward stroke, that will help engage the bottom hand, pulling down with the bottom cork, bending the lower part of the rod (the strong part of the rod). Looks like you are pushing with the top hand in a see-saw rod path, this flexes the tip of the rod (weak part of the rod). Instead, think of chopping wood with an axe or paddling a canoe to engage your core abb mussels, pulling down with the bottom hand.

Other than that, keep up the practice! Good work!

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,614 Posts
Pulling down rather than back causes the rod tip to revolve rather than track straight 🤷‍♂️ And the top hand should really just push out straight to a stop the stop being way more key than the power put into the push
Water Water resources Vertebrate Tree Plant

Water Water resources Vertebrate Light Plant

Water Water resources Daytime Sky Vertebrate

·
Registered
714 Posts
A sub 11' 4wt compared to a 16' 9/10wt. A sub 20' head compared to a cut Equalizer Spey 83' head. Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum in tackle. Makes for an interesting translation.

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,614 Posts
A sub 11' 4wt compared to a 16' 9/10wt. A sub 20' head compared to a cut Equalizer Spey 83' head. Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum in tackle. Makes for an interesting translation.
Good casting is good casting long or short 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: eriefisher

·
Registered
466 Posts
Redside,

I’m not the caster that some are here, but what always helped me was concentrating on keeping my elbows close into my body. It naturally slows your stroke a bit and keeps you from too much top hand action. It seems to be a good way to get back into the groove when things start to go south.

·
Registered
Single hand and double hand fly rods mostly from Beulah and Hardy
27 Posts
S and C, check out this video from casting instructor and award winning spey caster Ian Gordon.
Watch how slow his lift is and his hand positions which optimize the load on the rod. constant tension is what you need to make a good Spey cast let the rod do the work for you.

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,614 Posts
He’s shooting a layup, Bruce; and you’re showing him how to launch one from half court. 😆
Well a bball court is 91 ft so it would be more like half court from the next court 🤷🏻‍♂️😏😈

1 - 15 of 15 Posts