Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend me a good scotch at a working man's price. I want something good, in a glass bottle, but not one that will set me back a ton. Looking to start my Scotch adventure! Thanks in advance

·
Registered
96 Posts
cheaper is not always better

My last experience with scotch was The Clan Mclellen. It was the inaugural trip for my camper and a early spring fishing trip to the Ausable river in northern Michigan. It was very cold and wet so the scotch started flowing early in the afternoon. Needless to say there was an early reverse low of scotch shortly after turning in for the night. Ruined a nice pair of boots, broke in the new camper, ruined me for scotch forever. That was a long time ago. Maybe if it had been more expensive we would not have drank so much and I would still like the stuff. Hard too say.

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
It's a blended whisky rather than a single malt (although it does have larger malt content than most blends) but Black Grouse is delicious - indeed I think it is better than many of the malts on offer.

Regards, Tyke.

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you are new to single malts then Dalwhinnie is a nice start. Very mild finish but costs a tad more. Its what I always pour for first timers. Rob

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
Go north. Highland Park 12 to start. When you start putting $'s in the bank you can move up to HP18, then when you retire enjoy HP25.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Try a Speyside or Highland malt. They are a tad sweeter and more mellow and usually good for a starting point. Lowland malts are also quite mellow, but I feel these are not as interesting as Highland or Speyside.
There are a few at reasonable prices. Try Speyburn. I have found that this has been a good starting point.
When you want to graduate to more complex whiskies let me know.
I am in the business.

Emel

·
Registered
117 Posts
My fav blend is Te bheag, it's $38 at lcbo if you are in ontario.
For a single malt; glendronach 12 is a good value, as is auchentoshan 12.
Like everything taste is a personal thing.
Enjoy your journey!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Rob P nailed it - twice. Both of those are fine single malts, for the beginner or otherwise. I have both on hand and enjoy them immensely.

·
Registered
785 Posts
If you've never drank any whisk(e)y before in your life, i recommend starting with Irish whiskey. It is very soft and the most palatable when starting out
I can recommend the following in progressive order of taste from smooth to peaty.

Tullamore Dew Good entry level whiskey, also had their 12 yo which is a tad better than the original
Bushmills Black Bush - this is a blended whiskey, but almost tastes like a single malt - $30-35 where i come from
Bushmills 10 yo - single malt from the same distillery.
They also have a 16yo but the 10 is better in my opinion.
Their 21 yo ($100) is next on my list to add to the collection
Green Spot - this is a single pot still irish whiskey, that has just recently (last year or so) become available via export from Ireland. $50 will get you a bottle in PA and it is great stuff. I cant recommend this one Highly enough. They also have a Yellow Spot 12yo, which is not exported, that i'm itching to taste.
Red Breast 12 yo is another single pot still, and while i've not tried it, this whiskey is allegedly the best whiskey to come out of Ireland. There's a Red BReast 15 yo too.

On to scotch. Up until this summer, i was exclusively an Irish whiskey guy. Last year for christmas my wife bought me a bottle of Laphroaig Triple Wood (more details below) and I hated it. Decided in the summer to give it another go and ended up buying three more different Laphroaigs.....go figure. Since then i've added the following to the cabinet

Glenmorangie Original - Speyside - Nice entry level whiskey, a bit more complex and slightly harsher than Irish whiskey's above, but nonetheless good. They had a gift pack with glasses on sale in the store couple weeks ago for the holidays, so I picked it up, mainly for the nice glasses.
Glenrothes Select Reserve - Speyside - bought this on a whim to get a a spey side and didnt realise it was a blend. Its ok, but Glenmorangie is better
Glenlivit 18yo - wife got this for christmas last year, not drank a lot of it, but its nice. Smoother than the other stuff, but thats because its 18 year in the barrel.
Glenlivet Nadurra - bottled at cask strength of 55.3%, this 16 yo it's delightful
Bowmore 12 yo - the lastest one i added to my collection, a much softer Islay than those listed below - they say you can taste the smoke, but i can't - very smooth whisky. This is my current favorite
Ardbeg 10 yo - this is an Islay, so peaty, though not as peaty as the Lagavulin or Laphroaig. Good whiskey, though not my favorite Islay.
Laphroaig 10 yo - sweet and smokey - Very nice if you want a bit more smoke than the Ardbeg
Laphroaig Quarter Cask - stronger than the 10 yo different taste, but still good
Laphroaig Triple Wood - Liquid smoke is the term I would give this whisky.....awesomeness in a bottle.

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
Party is at Eunan's, LOL.

·
Registered
171 Posts
McClelland's

I'm a fan of McClelland's Islay.

At just under $40.00 a bottle it's dirt cheap when compared to other offerings.

I realise there are better Single malts out there but for the price this one is pretty hard to beat and makes for a reasonably priced every day tipple.
It also comes in Highland and Speyside styles and they are perhaps a better buy for an entry level foray into the wonderful world of Single Malts.

Glenfiddich and Glenlivet are some others that a "rookie" might try before spending a small fortune on some of the more exotic single malts.

I know some think this is sacrilegious to some but I have found a few drops of spring water, more if over 40% alcohol content, goes a long way to making the drink more palatable.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Oh just give em time they will learn why the peat is used for the Islay malts and why the sherry barrels are bought from France for double cask aging. But I will never argue taste, gentleman please drink what you like. I do! :)
Rob P nailed it - twice. Both of those are fine single malts, for the beginner or otherwise. I have both on hand and enjoy them immensely.

·
JD
3,612 Posts
A working man's scotch?

I'm a fan of McClelland's Islay. At just under $40.00 a bottle it's dirt cheap when compared to other offerings.
Well, maybe I should re-phrase that. When I was working, I could afford to pay $40.00 for a bottle of single malt. Now that I am retired, I am less willing to indulge in that level of extravagance. :Eyecrazy: McClellands sells for $21.95/19.95 in Oregon. And I think the Oregon Liquor Board is ripping us off! McClellands also makes a Highland and a Speyside. Trader Joe's sells an Islay malt under their own name called Finlaggan. Waiting for the day Trader Joe's can sell hard liquor in Or.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Go north. Highland Park 12 to start. When you start putting $'s in the bank you can move up to HP18, then when you retire enjoy HP25.
+1 I'm with Middlecalf...

Most speysides are too sweet for my taste but the Cragganmore 12 is one of the best. Speysides almost never have any smoke or peat, however.

Highland malts may have some reek but usually not enough to distinguish them from speysides esp. if they get to aging them in port barrels. In fact, some malts labeled as Highland malts, such as Dalwinnie, are actually made in the speyside region.

Highland Park is from Orkney. They own an entire peat bog which they've been harvesting for years with many years to come. Good smoke and good peat but not as strong as the island malts. So it is one of those rare birds, anymore, that almost defines what Scotch is supposed to be without being overbearing. The 12 is affordable unless you tend to guzzle...in which case it doesn't matter what you're drinking. The 18 is very very good but naturally it's more expensive.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts