Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had to share this. My six year old, Wyatt, has been asking me to help him tie a fly. I thought we'd start with a sure fire winner, so we went with the Woolly Bugger and dressed it up a bit with Midnight Fire chenille for the body. Tied on a size six, four extra long streamer hook. He needed a bit of help keeping his hands steady and maintaining consistent tension while wrapping, but he followed instructions well, and was very proud of his completed fly.

I've ordered him an Echo Gecko for Christmas this year, so this fly will see its first action next year.

Pretty proud moment for sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the little guy with his fly on display.

Attachments

·
Banned
894 Posts
Great job Scott....umm Wyatt;-) I had Emma tie her first fly when she was 4 but needed a lot of help. She definitely got it figured out now though, although the whip finishing it left to me. He looks excited, sure he will love that rod

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
361 Posts
Nice fly Wyatt! That looks like a very hot pattern. Better tie a few more, fish will chew it up so you will want to have a spare or two! I still remember tying my first fly. My Dad taught me too! Have fun fishing.

Tight Lines! Frank

·
Registered
371 Posts
That is great man...I wish more kids took an interest in outdoor things instead of vegetating in front of a TV with a video game.

He looks like a natural, get him going on topping wings next! CJ

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The smile

Says it all, thinking he is hooked, excuse the pun, wish I was that young when I started and still remember mine...

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
Really cool. My daughter who is three sits on my lap and wraps the thread. It's really great to get your kids involved, if they're that interested.

J

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
My step son is 7 and would rather play video games than anything else is the world and I have a rule of NO VIDEO GAMES IN MY HOUSE, needless to say he hates it... He has been sitting down to wrap up wooly buggers with me lately, and he loves it! The kid has some natural abilities too! It's awesome for me because I found a good healthy way to bond and get him more involved in outdoor activities (his dad plays more video games that a 10 yr old so I struggle to get him outdoors) anyways, the moral of the story is great stuff Scott! I know the pride you feel to see your little one wrapping feathers on a hook... I can't keep my 3 year off the vise or leave him home when I go fishing/hunting, it's amazing how different two kids can be! Thanks for sharing this!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Good job Wyatt! Scott, you really gotta reach my kids how to tie proper GPs so that I can get a kiddie sweat shop churning out flies during summer vacations. We will stockpile enough for our next trip to the Thompson. :D

·
Registered
663 Posts
It will not be long and you will never have to ever tie a fly again.

I remember my daughter's first fly. I didn't help her at all. I give her some materials and told her to tie a fly. Then we took it to local pond and let her catch some fish on it. I put it on a closed face reel with a cork, but she got satisfaction out of catching fish on a fly that she made. With a bonus of out fishing her sister. :hihi:

Thanks for sharing. Brings back memories of when my kids were younger.

Dan

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
first fly

Wow, It is so cool to get kids tying flies. I need to do it with my grandkids. Bring your son and that fly and sign up for a few days down here at Grindstone Lakes and he'll just slay them with that one!!!
Good work Dad
L

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone,

He's got the bug that's for sure, he was down stairs straight after he finished his reading homework to see what we could tie next. Lots of fun.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Very cool Scott. My 2 1/2 yr old has been getting into my stuff, and I'm stoked. Can't wait till I can start a thread like this one. Awesome job buddy !

·
Registered
225 Posts
Great job young fella!
I remember the first fly I ever tied was a Wooly Worm. It was several years before the Wooly Bugger variant was developed. Keep up the good work.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts