Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following was taken from the column "Stray Voltage" in the Airforce Journal International and credited to "AFJI Staff".

"In July 1798, the USS Constitution (Old Ironsides) set sail from Boston. According to her log, she left with 475 officers and men, 48600 gallons of fresh water, 7400 cannon shot, 11600 of black powder, and 79400 gallons of rum. Making Jamaica on 6 October, she took on 826 pounds of flour and 68,300 gallons of rum. Then she headed for the Azores, arriving on 12 November. She provisioned with 550 pounds of beef and 64,300 gallons of Portuguese wine. On 18 November she set sail for England. In the ensuing days, she defeated five British men-of-war and captured and scuttled 12 English merchantmen, salvaging only their rum. By 26 January her powder and shot were exhausted. Unarmed, she made a night raid up the Firth of Clyde. Her landing party captured a whiskey distillery and transferred 40,000 gallons aboard by dawn. Then she headed home. The USS Constitution arrived in Boston on 20 February, 1799 with no cannon shot, no powder, no food, no rum, no wine, no whiskey, and 38,600 gallons of stagnant water."

Fred, no mention was made of "presentation" or "crystal glasses".

Crusty

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
As part of our bicentennial celebration I had the privilege of being a passenger on that mighty ship on it's turnaround cruise (which evens her weathering). For those of you who are counting, that was 1976. I consider it one of the most memorable things I've ever done. She's a true symbol of an emerging America's strength and resolve.

Man can those sailors drink!

·
Hooked on Salmon
161 Posts
We that watched from a distance prettty much guessed that you guys not would settle with tea, once you got the hang of parties back there in Boston.......:hehe:

Per

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Dana
Don't let them bait U !!
I've been to Boston many times and there is NO way ANYONE from that area can consume even that small quantity of spirits !
Unless !!wait a friggin minute ,the USS Constitution must have been manned by Newfoundlanders !!! ????, HMMMM !? Nah .Newfies woulda drunk the stagnant water too,and beat the s--t outta the officers for running such a dry ship !!
Oh and another historical note the Constitution wasn't shod with iron but the rivetted on- livers of the crew !!
BARAPPHHH BURGHHH !!!
Cheers
Brian

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Hoy Vey! You Americans (me too now) how little you know.

"Splice the Main Brace" was one of the common terms for time for the issue of booze. On the old British Men of War (and probably almost everyone elses) the crew was issued a pint of 100, or more, proof rum per day. No mis-print .. a pint per day.

If I had to live/work under those conditions being "blasted" would probably be the only thing that would make it tolerable. How did you get into 'the Navy?' Probably a press gang, life expectency was under a year on average. Life on boar ship a lot of fun? Look up the background of "cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey."

The Army; look up the term "the King's Shilling."

Folks, these were not fun times. America, like Australia, was initially populated by people the 'mother country' thought to be total failures (or convicts). We won the Rev. War, and the war of 1812 - which was actually over before the last large battle - because a large group of 'failures' were all winners.

In my humble Canadian opinion, nothing has changed. I'm so proud to be a Citizen of this fine Country words fail me. The collective "we" have it so good, far too many fail to see the gifts that have been bestowed on America.

Sorry if this tweeks someones chain: But 'our' idea of "poverty" is you only have one colour tv.

fae
fae

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
:>) With a reasonable trailing wind I'll

even pop the foreroyals, topgallants and staysails.

:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts