Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has taken an interest in fly fishing. It's great. We were fishing for GL salmon a few days ago and she will try her hand at steelhead soon. She is still very new to the sport and fishes with single handed rods. My question is: are there female spey casters out there? I hear of groups of female fly fishers but is there one that focuses on steelhead/salmon?

Just thinking ahead.

David Dornblaser
[email protected]

·
Registered
344 Posts
David,

There are a few. Amy Hazel ("Introduction to Spey Casting" DVD) immediately comes to mind. Rhea Topping is another (http://www.rheatopping.com). I've seen a few others on the river. There's a women's FF club here in the Portland, OR area with several speycasters. And of course, there's my daughter, who at age 14 is quite accomplished.

I'm not aware of any female-specific steelhead/spey-casting groups, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is one.

--Bill

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
Dorn,

You are one lucky Dude! I am envious. Where can I find one of those...... :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Ann Smith from Gaspe Quebec is one. Her name on the Forum is QuebecSporting. She runs an outfitting business on the Gaspe. Great lady.

Charlie.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I am very lucky. Not only does my wife encourage my habit but she joins me periodically. She just had some spey casting instruction while out west with me. She can throw a pretty loop with about 50-60 feet of line.

Gillie

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hello David.

There are quite a few women spey casters in the San Francisco Bay Area. Myself being one, plus 6-7 other ladies, ranging from beginner to advanced. We all belong to the Golden West Women Flyfishers and some of us also are members of Golden Gate Angling & Casting Club. Bobbie White has moved to Granite Pass in Oregon for about a year now and I believe she is active with the fly fishing club up there.

I've been spey casting for 2 years now, and have fished for atlantic salmon on the Ponoi river in Russia, Orkla in Norway; salmon, steelhead in Oregon and California. It's so much fun with a 2 handed rod!

Glad to hear that your wife is interested in flyfishing and spey casting, it's wonderful to have more women participate in this sport.

Tight lines,
Donna

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi,
Not only women but young ladies too are getting into fly fishing......
Gentleman, we are taking over the business!! :biggrin:

This season I invited my daughter fishing..
She was very nervous at first and bored actually!!!
Then!! We were in Business!!!
First fish she hooked: ..... She threw the rod ...no!! take this I'm getting out of here, he's too big!!!!!!
( lost the fish!!) :confused:

Second fish: I was chatting with her when she screamed....."Ah no, I'm stuck again!" I said, "NO!!" You have a fish on!!!" She pulled and set the hook..then, out he came and she pulled again and set the hook a second time, pulled him right back head first in the pool and started reeling :confused:

Lost the fish again and said, "Man! This is too easy, we're coming back!! :confused:

What was neat to watch was seeing her follow the line, as it went behind and the smile when it hit the water. ( I can't do that!!!)

There you go.... a great day I will never forget and I found my fishing partner!!!

A..

·
Flyfishing Camp Cook
122 Posts
Yes, there are quite a few groups for women flyfishers out there. My girlfriend is big into fishing (I got her started actually into flyfishing). She's found quite a few good groups out there. Even one that suites her pretty well (they are a flyfishing/horse riding group). You just have to look around for a GL group. Was funny, my girlfriend grabbed a speyrod and was casting it instantly. But once I put the hook on it (same thing with the single hander) she fizzled fast. Scared of the hook I think.

My daughter is already using one of my old glass 7wt fenwicks I have here. She's been having fun casting it. May put her into some fish in the upcoming weeks (since I'll let her use my old 8wt glass rod to hit some chums). Easy way to get her started, since she's getting pretty proficient with a gear rod.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts