Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone who has the 1535/ 1540 youngs reel post a photo,of the inside of the reel to show me the pawl settings for left hand wind ,or give me a link.

·
Carp aficionado
1,214 Posts
When looking at the pawls with the adjustment screw on top, the point of the left pawl should point towards the gear, or the center. The point of the pawl on the right should head towards the screw.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
1540 set up with BOTH pawls in engaged position for LHW (strong)

If you want only one pawl of the two to be active (less strong) but still LHW, simply turn either of the two pawls so that sharper engaging point of the pawl (ie that nearest the pawl slot which fits onto the pawl post) is now NOT pointing towards the central reel spindle.

Mike

·
Registered
293 Posts
Should the tension be the same for both reeling in and line pulling out?

·
Registered
293 Posts
1540 set up with BOTH pawls in engaged position for LHW (strong)

If you want only one pawl of the two to be active (less strong) but still LHW, simply turn either of the two pawls so that sharper engaging point of the pawl (ie that nearest the pawl slot which fits onto the pawl post) is now NOT pointing towards the central reel spindle.

Mike
Picked up a 1535. Set the pawls like the above photo. Wanted to disengage one so I spun the left one. That resulted in the spool freely spinning with no clicking. So the right pawl isn't engaged???

I've tried several combos but don't know if the current setting is correct. Can anyone else show a picture of a 1535/1540 set for LHW?

Thanks.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
perhaps you should post a photo of your reel set-up, so it's more clear what you've done....

·
Registered
293 Posts
Will do when I get home.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
...and that is different from what I showed & explained above how???
I believe only the left hand pawl is engaged in your photo instead of both. That's what threw me. I set things up the way you showed and then spun the left pawl. No click from the right.

Got it all figured out now. Thanks.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
I believe only the left hand pawl is engaged in your photo instead of both. That's what threw me. I set things up the way you showed and then spun the left pawl. No click from the right.

Got it all figured out now. Thanks.
...and from the little you have said, I think I have figured out what is wrong with the reel you have....thanks....but if you have it sorted, then all is fine with the world

1 - 12 of 12 Posts