Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,400 Posts
Yes. I started doing this some years ago after seeing Dana's Thompson Stone pattern. It works great for tubes.

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Of course! the brassie has been around for ages, along with several variants. I honestly think all wired flies are dead ugly, so I don't tie them for that reason. But I cannot dispute the ease of tying and the durability as a guide fly.

But I often rib flies in wire, or tie in entire segments in wire or tinsel. It not only enhances sink, it enhances durability and shine, as well as giving a lovely natural segmented look to a body.

Do you tie them big and fish them in winter, or just medium and small for summer work?

·
Registered
912 Posts
I like'm. Might incorporate some into my tubes.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
No idea how old the pattern may be but ...

Have you guys ever tied your flies with wire for bodies? I have been doing this for years and its my go to fly for dry lines. as I was writing a blog post I was just wondering if anyone else does this.
"Copper John's" have been around for a very long time. Wire can be red, green, copper, what the heck ever and they just work and sink like a rock off a dry line leader.
:D

Edit:

I thought the patten had been around for a 'zillion years,' apparently not: http://midcurrent.com/flies/tying-the-original-copper-john/

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
cool Nate, and great flies all.

Nate, next time you tie up a wire body shank, please share, I am pretty new to shanks, would love to see how you build it up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts