Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been tying a box of salt water flies for a buddies upcoming trip lately and this weekend I needed to take a bit of a break from them as they just dont seem to give me the same satisfaction as tying a steelhead bug does.

So here is 2 for the cold flows

2/0 Winter's Hope (with a few liberties... Sorry Bill)

1/0 Breath Freshener aka. Mint Eagle.... ;)

With some luck... The fish will dig em as much as I do.

Cheers.
J

·
Administrator
18,146 Posts
These are fabulous , well done lad :smokin::smokin:
Love the way you have adapted the Winter's Hope into a Dee !!
The wing slips are perfectly thin and the body is dressed as a Dee fly should be , thin and sparse .... NICE !!

The Breath Freshner Eagle will be sure to get some action !!
Lot's of POP and movement in that one .

Thanks for sharing James :)

Mike

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Very nice twist on my very favorite pattern of all time. Nice and sparse too, so despite the variations remaining true to the intent of the pattern. Love them both, but the WH really pleases my eyes.
Well done!
JB

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
Those are good man, really good

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers fellas.
I just noticed how horrible that first picture is! (iphone) Sorry about that.

J.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
great stuff. last year i did 2 dee with winter hope in mind we did the same thing for one of them haha even the wing. ( the first fly)

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Todd, haha! Very funny, i had you in the back of my mind tying this one... "What's Hirano gonna think of this?"

Kevin.
Post a picture in this thread of your W.H. If you have one? Love to see it.

J.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sweet flies Kevin. Funny, I had considered using embossed for the body as well, but decided to stick as close to the pattern as I could, even tho i clearly messed with it a fair bit... ;)

J

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Top notch stuff James. Really dig that Winters Hope.

·
Registered
361 Posts
James, Kevin: Very nice flies. Just love them! Awesome tying!

Frank

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Todd, haha! Very funny, i had you in the back of my mind tying this one... "What's Hirano gonna think of this?"

J.
James;
You know my tastes!! Just like when you sent me the 8592, a rod perfectly suited to my winter fishing. Can't believe the winter season is just about upon us already. Time to bust out my heavy irons. You've got me wondering how a sparse dee pattern like yours would adapt to the Partridge M??

Planning to see you in Feb!!

Best,
Todd

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Todd.

It does feel like a quick year for sure, but I look forward to winter fishing all year. I think the M makes a great dee hook, sinks fast and you ain't ever gonna bend one open! Haha.
Here's one tied on a 3/0 "M" that had a brief visit with the torch. This could be sparser for sure, but in hindsight you can always wish you did a few less turns.

And to continue on a theme, a Fall Favorite.

Cheers.
J.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts