Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
1,124 Posts
Congrats....a very appealing innovative tie here with some added flash and sheen from the exposed body tinsel.
I find these Matuka patterns are equally effective on the swing or while initially dead drifting on the presentation prior to your line catching the downstream currents. Their stiffer wing is similar to that of a full dressed feather wing classic. The stiffer broader profile of these flies, especially with another feather hackle similarly wound along the length of the under belly, will flutter and wobble on a slack light tippet in the subsurface flowage. This high stick dead drifted presentation, or Restigouche Patent Cast, is similar to the irresistible attraction of a spoon chuckers slack line swinging technique.
Very well done.
Regards from the Restigouche... Jim

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the kind words Jim! I've been a fan of the hackle tip wing style (McMillan, Dahlquist, Glasso) for quite some time...I have always had a few matukas haunting the corner of my box and they catch fish when I fish 'em...
I also find that the matuka wing maintains a bit more side profile on the swing and creates a movement that emulates the undulations of a living body...
I'll be adding the Restigouche Patent Cast to the rotation, seems good for attempting to gain depth while fishing a dry line
This winter's tying will involve replacing my hackle tip and some hairwings with matuka versions as I lose them (most likely in a tree, less likely in a fish :ROFLMAO:)
Thanks again Jim...your response and compliments hold weight

1 - 4 of 4 Posts