Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally I don't fish in the Winter, however my FF Club scheduled a fly fishing trip in the end of February for a Eastern PA fish day. All I do is spey swing soft hackle flies. Any recommendation for a trout fly to slow swing ? Size ? Picture ?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm a long way from PA here out west. Doing a stint of winter trout fishing Euro nymphing and swinging flies on a single hander with skagit head & sink tips. The fly that's getting the most action is a rust or olive size 8 Slumpbuster. Bouface & Wooly buggers work also. Slumpbuster & Bouface pine squirrel flies are easy to tie and really durable.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I Haven't swung to much for winter resident trout (our season closes sept 30th in almost all resident locations).. But This fly is killer and will do the trick.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/82-spey-basics/390296-trout-spey-fly-sizing-2.html

I also will through my tube bunnies, I prefer my Meiserv1264 here for the additional powee, not my Anderson 1173.
I have the ACR 1103-4, feel its too light for winter fishing with streamers - use it exclusively on spiders, will use it on small 30' or less streams, I also have the Meisner 1307-4 which I use on the larger streams/rivers 30+' for trout on up. Those bunnies I would lien toward my 10' 8wt single spey for small streams.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
With the ACR 1173, I will use the spiders and the March Brown wet (and similar). As I noted above, I will use the Meiser 1264S for the larger flies for trout.

I have a couple of others tools (rods) that i might use, when i need to travel, a Scott ARC 9'6" 7wt 4pc (which is a great single hand spey rod) and a 5pc Meiser 5WT, I forget the length, but it fits in my small rod airline carrier ( with my other 4pc rods).

Yes, select the fly you want to present, then select the rod to match the fly and conditions.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The black spider is an old pattern popularised anew in the UK by Tom Ivens some time during the late 60's or early 70's (if memory serves) as a pattern to imitate snails particularly in reservoirs, which became known as the Black & Peacock Spider.

While using the fly once, I remember catching a rainbow so full of snails it's belly looked 'lumpy', though it managed to find room for one more.

I recommend the little hard-cover book featured, although out of print for some time; last printing 2004. I found my copy on-line. Originally published and edited by Trout & Salmon magazine, UK.

Malcolm

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
The black and peacock spider is a truly excellent all round fly which suggests many things to the fish not just snails. I have done well fishing it from boats in Scotland in early season dark olive hatches when they are taking below surface.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts