Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I have a Winston Ibis 12'6" 6/7 for my work here on the N. Shore of Lake Superior and it is a blast to fish. It really works great for my situation. I am planning to head west to fish some winter runs in the future and was wondering if I could get some input on rods. Any and all advice would be most helpfull.

Thanks!
Birdog

·
Registered
147 Posts
13-14 ft 8 and 9 weights are perfect provided you buy one with a strong tip. a lot of people buy 15 foot 10wts but I find them to be way way way way too much rod even on the largest of rivers with the heaviest of tips.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Winter Rod

Thanks for the reply. Your suggestions are what I had in mind. Any comments on brands? I've looked (on the net) at the Ibis 9wt and the CND Customs. They are really in my price range. I need to purchase an x-tra spool for my LS 3.5 and the line, so I wanted to keep the rod price around $500.

Birdog

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Hey Birdog...

I am planning to head west to fish some winter runs in the future and
What part of the West are you heading to?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Birdog:

Some of us, like flytier and me, love our 16-footers for big winter rivers like the Skagit/Sauk, although we're a minority. A lot of people prefer the shorter rods such as you mention, even on big British Columbia rivers. But there are any number of good 15-footers taking 9-11 lines that would work fine on typical winter steelhead rivers.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Birddog, I use the less costly alternative for winter and get by just fine. The St. Croix 15' 10/11 will handle any tips you want to throw and will certainly handle the biggest winter runs in any tough fight. Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Winter Rod

Great info fellas.
Junkyard, I am leaning toward the Olympic Penninsula. I know it can be iffy with the weather so I want to have a few options. I fished the Kalama a few years back and had a blast, no one in sight all day. But I am open to any suggestions and a few bribes.
My target dates are sometime mid-March to mid-April. I need to be back in Minnesota for our run. I caught the tail end of the run 2 years ago becuse I was in Afghanistan/Uzbekistan, I missed it last year because I was in Iraq and I could only fish a few days this year because my wife just gave birth to my new fishin' buddy:p Barring an invasion of Syria I hope to fish more next spring.

Coasters Rule!
Birdog

1 - 7 of 7 Posts