Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must first apologize for accidentally duplicating my pictures on the gallery. Being a new member I did not think the original posting worked, so please forgive me. This March for the first time I am going to go steelhead fishing in Oregon and up till now my spey fishing is limited to small mouth bass on the New River in Virginia. I was hoping people with more experience could look at some of the flies I have tied and give me some input. Thanks in advance for your replies. Otto

Attachments

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Beautiful flies! Any and all will get the job done.

One suggestion would be to tie the hook it pointed up. You will find that if the hook is riding opposite of the lead eyes that you will have less trouble fouling the bottom and it will not impact your hooking ability of fish.

·
fly on little wing
1,136 Posts
yo Otto

Nice ties,
Ditto on the hook.
you should try them on your smallie water if you haven't already. I know my local smallies and walleye would tear them up.

Gary

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

sinktip and voodoofly,
thanks for the input. although the lead eyes and hook point are essentially on the same same side of the hook, i thought that the eyes would be small enough preventing the fly from riding upside down? am i all wrong? otto

·
Registered
360 Posts
Those look like small steel eyes and not lead (excluding the black/Dark purple one) and they are tied behind an up-turned eye, they should swim fine with the hook point up.

·
Addicted and Avid
583 Posts
Wow!

Go forth and be fruitful!! You're loaded for bear. Excellent ties!!

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Otto,

In my experience, the lead eyes will roll to the bottom regardless of size.

'tip

·
Registered
314 Posts
They will work just fine in the GNW. Great Job! March is a great time to chase some natives.

----------------------
It is all about the hunt

Chas

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
those look good to go.You have all the selection of color you need,they look great!LIke the hook!think it is one of my favs!I like it up also.Has nothing to do with reasons already mentioned.Has to do with the top of the mouth is much better in which to sink a hook!Penetrates better and gets meat instead of skin or bone!!Well done!!Beau

·
Registered
360 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Awesome tying. I like all but the white but who knows? Make sure to bring some small stuff as well. If you like, it lookes like you can just remove the hook and place 180.

What did you use for feelers on the orange intruder? Realy cool contrast.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Naked eyes

The only thing I'd change is to put some dubbing, or something more creative like peacock or ostrich herl, around the eyes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts