Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back to where I came from. I fish near the coast in winter, this is what gives me confidence.
Insect Arthropod Feather Fishing bait Writing implement

Insect Arthropod Peafowl Organism Rectangle

32 mm shank, rigged old school, red Owner ssw size 2 is the go to hook. Unweighted, some under fur left in the Finn raccoon underwing to keel the fly. Loop and collar separate the fur under wing from the hackle on top. The Finn **** has some serious boogie - that tail kicks.

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
830 Posts
Back to where I came from. I fish near the coast in winter, this is what gives me confidence. View attachment 392446
View attachment 392445
32 mm shank, rigged old school, red Owner ssw size 2 is the go to hook. Unweighted, some under fur left in the Finn raccoon underwing to keel the fly. Loop and collar separate the fur under wing from the hackle on top. The Finn **** has some serious boogie - that tail kicks.
Congrats....that’s an effective lively looking Intruder pattern in the tradition of a Waddington or Bora. Are you using a fixed or swinging hook?
Regards from the Restigouche...Jim

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats....that’s an effective lively looking Intruder pattern in the tradition of a Waddington or Bora. Are you using a fixed or swinging hook?
Regards from the Restigouche...Jim

Thanks Jim,
I tie a non slip loop to the hook, which is held point up in a piece of “junction tubing”, about 5/16 of an inch long for my liking. I like to keep the hook in the body of the fly. Here is a picture of one I swung today, as rigged.
Natural material Finger Feather Creative arts Material property

Sometimes the loop to the hook is long and the hook may hang loose, but I am getting better at eying, and tying the right length.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Flies rigged "old school style" look & fish so much better IMO than an ugly stiff wire loop hanging off the back of the shank! I rig the same as you Brother !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts