Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Save for Simms (think I got that right) does ANYONE (insert at a reasonable price) make a 'breathable' rain jacket with neo. cuffs? Ask, as got to borrow one of these puppies a bit back and it was the first time I came away with dry shirt sleaves. The neo cuffs seal around your wrist and actually kept you dry. A novel thought there!:saevilw:

Now that's a very good thing!

·
JD
3,641 Posts
McKenzie Outfitters has Redington Jackets (last yrs model) on sale now. Also, Cabelas makes a good jacket. Mine is Patagonia. You might also try Dan Bailey. If his jacket is as good as his waders,,,,well, what else can I say? Time to think outside the (Simms) box.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I got a William Joseph coat that is GREAT. It is too warm for summer rain, but great on fall mornings and winter. I got it at their outlet in SLC for about 1/2 price to!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahhhh, but do they have the 'neoprm cuffs?'

The only one I know of (hence the question) is the Simms G3 guide jackets at $400!!!! a pop! But, credit where credit is do, the sealable cuffs on these puppies do keep your shirt sleeves dry.

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
people can ***** and moan about simms waders but you will not find a single complaint about simms' rain coats. if you want to stay dry and comfortable...buy simms.

the g3 jacket does NOT have neoprene cuffs but the classic guide jacket at $299 does...ive got 6 years on mine and it still keep me dry.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
G3 rain jacket product discription:

"Watertight stretch cuffs keep water out when you're casting or landing a fish."

That said, they're $100 bucks more!:saeek: But, back to the question: does anyone else make a rain coat with similar 'sealing sleeves?'

·
Registered
144 Posts
Patagonia Deep Wadeing Jacket & Shells vs. Insulated Jackets

Great lightweight jacket that is very breathable and designed to fit over layers and a vest. Not neccessarily "warm" since it is only a shell, but wind/waterproof, with HUGE chest pockets. It also has those nifty neoprene cuffs. I wear it quite a bit and tend towards layering w/shells as opposed to insulated outer layers. It only takes a trickle, but once that ice cold water hits your pit, any casting-form can be shocked into a tangled mess.

Also as a side note, many of the fancy insulations used in high-tech jackets start to smell like a pot of boiling gym shorts after only a few uses, some in only a few hours. I have quite a bit of high-end camping/mountaineering gear that has the same materials/problems. Most of the outer layers have DWR coatings (durable water repellent) that have a finite lifespan, measured in # of washing cycles. Hence, minimizing the # of washings will preserve the life/funtion of the gear. Wash only when dirty. If the insulating layers that trap oder can be washed seperately, your shell will last longer and require less re-treatment to preserve the DWR finish.

The exception is a class of "soft-shell" material that is rejuvinated by heat. Regular washing AND drying in the dryer is what maintains the waterproofing's effectiveness. I have a couple of soft-shells made by Marmot and Sierra Designs that use these material and really like them. I do not know if the LL Bean soft-shell rain jacket is of a similar type. If so, it would be a medium warm jacket with moderate/good insulating value that could also work well with layers, while weathering repeated washings with no detriment.

A bit more than two cents,
Best Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Simms makes some good products.

NrthFrk16 said:
people can ***** and moan about simms waders but you will not find a single complaint about simms' rain coats. if you want to stay dry and comfortable...buy simms.

the g3 jacket does NOT have neoprene cuffs but the classic guide jacket at $299 does...ive got 6 years on mine and it still keep me dry.
My Classic Simms Guide Jacket will be 4 years old next month. My trophy bride got it for my Birthday. It stays in my Bronco or our back hall way and is used all the time and never pampered. It has never leaked, and last year during our 70 day Monsoon, I wore everyday, fishing or not.

I don't get wet with my Simms Guide Jacket and Simms Guide Waders. My Simms Aqua Stealth Boots with the studs keep me upright. My Simms Back Belt keeps my waders tight and my back from hurting. All of them are 4 years old or older.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bill!

I'd just stumbled on to the Pat SST jacket a few moments before you posted. Far, far less money; any other's out there before I go off to E-bay/Google land? (Anyone know of someone with either of these on sale???)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Love the Patagonia. Looking to replace my Simms last year and didn't want to spend the dough on another one. Considered Reddington and Patagonia. Liked the Patagonia's simplicity. Pretty happy so far.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
It pays off to revitalizes the surface of Gore-Tex® once every 2 or 3 years with Revivex made by Gore Co.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Wading Jacket Cuffs

Hi Everyone,

When I first got into salmon fishing and couldn't afford a good wading jacket I used wrist sweat bands to keep the rain from getting in under the sleeves. And when they got to wet just put a new pair on. They did the trick for someone who couldn't afford the fancy jacket, kept me warm and dry and prevented the wind from going up the sleeves to.

Alan (salmonguy)

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Wading Jacket

I have Cabela's Gore-Tex Wading jacket. Has 1/2 neopreme gloves. I am on my third year and still works great. $150 is good value.

Rich

·
Registered
445 Posts
SST jacket..

...............Fred,I have a SST jacket that is probably 10 years old. I fish in it,and sometimes I hunt waterfowl in it. It has never leaked a drop. It is so old the tops of the arms and shoulders have faded slightly. But I'm always dry. Last season it went in the washing machine for the first time, sprayed on Revivex,and it's off to the races! You'll know when it needs to be treated when water starts not beading on it. It doesn't affect water resistance,just breathability. Treat it with Revivex and it'll be fine. The new stretch jacket makes it tough to open the pockets,try to find one of the older non-stretch jackets.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
I've been using LOOP jackets for the past several years. They were great but they did not have the waterproof cuffs; consequently, I was always reluctant to stick my hand in the water to pick up my wading staff, tail a fish etc, and after a day casting in the rain my shirt cuffs and often the arms on my shirts were damp.

This year I have a Patagonia Deep Wading jacket with the sealing cuffs and I'm hoping that it will solve the wet sleeve problem!

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,194 Posts
Of all the stuff, (waders jackets etc.) that I have owned over the years I like my Cloudveil stuff the best!

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
I too have used Patagonia's Deep wading jacket and still use it through June to September. However, I bought the new Bare waders and Jacket last year and have nothing but great things to say about them. And yes, there is a neoprene cuff. I fished some pretty damn cold days in BC last year and the jacket is terrific through the cold months. By the way,,, anyone else use the Bare Blackwater wader and have you had any problems with leaks? I was reluctant to pick them up as i heard there were problems in the seams,etc. But then there are problems with all of them.:roll: The jacket ran me $280 and the waders were the same.
Salmon Chaser

·
Oh how I miss the NW
126 Posts
It surprised me to read this thread and not see anyone mention the Orvis Tailwaters XT. I fished this jacket last winter and loved it. It has the neo cuffs as well. I bought it because I did not want to spend the 400 on the simms. At 298 it is a good jacket.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts