Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
mrspnwsteel
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in recommendations for winter lines for my Spey Rod. I currently fish the Airflo Rage and Polyleaders. They are great for me, but I am looking to learn about other ideas for heavy flies and big rivers. I am more interested in non-Skagit line ideas as I prefer the length of the Rage.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It might be helpful to let us know what rod you are fishing. Or at least length other qualities. Lots of people have experience on here with most rods and can no doubt help you out.

·
mrspnwsteel
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I really do like the Rage and the Polyleaders a lot. I try to keep learning and seeing what other good ideas are out there too. :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm with RBT...

I use Rage all year long. I use type 6 in the winter with weighted or unweighted flies with the 510 Rage. If T14 is called for ill use a shorter skagit head but 85% of my winter work is covered with Rage.

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
in addition to the above which are good suggestions:

NextCast WA55.

NextCast SalarFinder, lightest you can get, + 10' tips.

LTS III-S 8/9 in H13.

Rio Scandi Versitip or Scandi Body + tips of your choice.

·
Administrator
18,154 Posts
I like SGS Skandit`s in full intermediate with poly`s for winter fishing . I like the way the intermediate belly bites through the surface and slows down the swing .
I can swap out the tip and use a high density sink tip then add a poly to it as well or go with heavier grain tips and fish it like a Skagit if I want to . Very versatile in my opinion , I like to keep my options open in cold water .

Mike

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
if length is what you are interested in, a Skagit short with a tip will essentially be close to the same length as a Rage and if you get standard Skagit lengths, they will be a bit longer. If big weighted flies are what you want to cast, Skagit is a tough system to beat. The heavier T material tips will turn over flies easier than will poly leaders

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I use a 510 gr Rage most of the time in the winter on a 13'2" 7wt Beulah. I use IMOW tips of T-11 with it for most of my winter fishing. That said, for times I am really trying to get down with something big and ugly I tend to opt for an intermediate skagit head and T-11 or T-14. Not my preferred casting style either, but at a certain point in time the Rage stops being as fun to cast too.
Cheers,
JB

·
Registered
627 Posts
For that rod try 8/9 nextcast Salar finder. The F2 is super nice with a 10ft tip of T8. This is also a great combo on Burky 7134

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Fishm - great line!! In fact they were the lines I used to cut up to make original skagits before skagits hit the market - I know - blasphemy!!!! But great casting lines and I would cut them back at 15' or so with a loop to throw tips

Best,
R

1 - 16 of 16 Posts