Spey Pages banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
mrspnwsteel
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in recommendations for winter lines for my Spey Rod. I currently fish the Airflo Rage and Polyleaders. They are great for me, but I am looking to learn about other ideas for heavy flies and big rivers. I am more interested in non-Skagit line ideas as I prefer the length of the Rage.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm with RBT...

I use Rage all year long. I use type 6 in the winter with weighted or unweighted flies with the 510 Rage. If T14 is called for ill use a shorter skagit head but 85% of my winter work is covered with Rage.

·
All Tangled Up
682 Posts
in addition to the above which are good suggestions:

NextCast WA55.

NextCast SalarFinder, lightest you can get, + 10' tips.

LTS III-S 8/9 in H13.

Rio Scandi Versitip or Scandi Body + tips of your choice.

·
Administrator
19,791 Posts
I like SGS Skandit`s in full intermediate with poly`s for winter fishing . I like the way the intermediate belly bites through the surface and slows down the swing .
I can swap out the tip and use a high density sink tip then add a poly to it as well or go with heavier grain tips and fish it like a Skagit if I want to . Very versatile in my opinion , I like to keep my options open in cold water .

Mike

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
if length is what you are interested in, a Skagit short with a tip will essentially be close to the same length as a Rage and if you get standard Skagit lengths, they will be a bit longer. If big weighted flies are what you want to cast, Skagit is a tough system to beat. The heavier T material tips will turn over flies easier than will poly leaders

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I use a 510 gr Rage most of the time in the winter on a 13'2" 7wt Beulah. I use IMOW tips of T-11 with it for most of my winter fishing. That said, for times I am really trying to get down with something big and ugly I tend to opt for an intermediate skagit head and T-11 or T-14. Not my preferred casting style either, but at a certain point in time the Rage stops being as fun to cast too.
Cheers,
JB

·
Registered
639 Posts
For that rod try 8/9 nextcast Salar finder. The F2 is super nice with a 10ft tip of T8. This is also a great combo on Burky 7134

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Fishm - great line!! In fact they were the lines I used to cut up to make original skagits before skagits hit the market - I know - blasphemy!!!! But great casting lines and I would cut them back at 15' or so with a loop to throw tips

Best,
R

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.