Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Good looking fly and box of flies!

On a different note, I run my flies in the opposite direction on the clips, I pull them into position.
What do the rest of you do?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hahahaa you know I never noticed I loaded it backwards. I have two other Wheatley's that I fish n both pulled into the clip.... I guess filling this box one fly at a time my brain didn't function

·
Undertaker
1,304 Posts
Matt, I'm not sure pulling them into the clips is better. Seems you would have a greater chance of clipping hackles and damaging flies putting them in the 'right' way.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Matt, I'm not sure pulling them into the clips is better. Seems you would have a greater chance of clipping hackles and damaging flies putting them in the 'right' way.
My old Hardy Wheatley has the point/hook saver installed so you would be pulling the hook in. Becoming accustomed to that it was just how I normally loaded them. Not really sure if there is a benefit to one way vs the other.

·
Administrator
17,678 Posts
In my opinion, if one was to "push" the iron into the clip there is a greater chance of folding hackles and cheeks (JC nails) ... I have done this :hihi:
By "pulling" the iron into place, the hackle is not "back-combed" and lays down flat and so do the cheeks.

Mike

·
Registered
320 Posts
It seems to me that we not only push/pull the fly to insert it in the clip, we subsequently pull/push it to remove it. Either way, it's one trip in either direction for the fly. So, in terms of wear and tear on the fly, I don't think it makes any difference. One of those "your fly box, your rules" things.

On a positive note, never let it be said that on SP we can't get off in the weeds over the details (which do matter, of course). ;)

Just so no one thinks I'm being dismissive, I admit to putting my flies in the clips facing up, facing down and also right and left. I can't decide.

Great looking flies, by the way.

·
Administrator
17,678 Posts
In my opinion, if one was to "push" the iron into the clip there is a greater chance of folding hackles and cheeks (JC nails) ... I have done this :hihi:
By "pulling" the iron into place, the hackle is not "back-combed" and lays down flat and so do the cheeks.

Mike

So now I will state the obvious ... :rolleyes:

To remove the fly from the clip, lift or tilt the fly upwards so you can place your fore-finger behind the fly (back side). Place your thumb on the side facing you (front). The fly is now protected so you can "push" the fly out of the clip without damaging hackles, cheeks, wings, toppings, etc .....

BTW, that blue hackle almost looks metallic and I'm diggin' the oval rib :smokin:

Mike

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
No other way to say it...I just plain like that fly!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts