Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I have about 5 weeks fishing left it has got too cold for me to wear my Simms Guide Waders.

I have, (my wife has) washed them at the hand wash cycle in the machine. I have dried them in the garage. Now should I treat them with Goretex reviver?
Revivex is not available in the UK does anyone know what is in it?
Should I send them to be tested, the suffered from "dampness" when wading to 1" of the top for a day.
Ideas thoughts, Simms suggest
Applying Water Repellent Treatment
After the waders are washed and thoroughly rinsed, saturate the outside of the waders with Revivex® or other water repellent treatment. Allow product to drip-dry. "Set" the treatment with heat using a blow dryer or iron (low setting), avoiding the stockingfoot attachment area.

Ironing waders anyone or their wife done it?

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,496 Posts
Revivex does wonders but it doesn't seem to last long enough to warrant the cost. I have used the clothes dryer method but never the iron.

Curious as to what you wear after it gets to cold for your Simms. Neoprene? Over here in NW steelhead country, it seems that most of us stay with our breathables year around. I firmly believe that I stay warmer layering with capeline long johns, fleece pants and my breathables then I ever do with my 5 mill neos. This is especially true if I am either hiking in a long ways or on the oars of the boat; both activities where I work up a sweat.

The one thing that many do is switch to bootfoot breathable waders when the winter sets in.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sinktip,
Yes in the cold months, late October, November, January, February, early March, I wear the 5 mm neoprenes.
Fishing on the Spey does not involve walking long distances as most beats have tracks along side the beats annd the Range Rover gets me to casting distance.

I only wear tweed plus fours under my waders, I mean I cannot let standards drop by wearing fleece pants, you will next suggest I do not wear a tie when fishing.

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
Ironing Gortex

My wife has ironed my Gor Tex running jacket and pants to revive them, but never tried it on waders. I does work and the running pants and jacket.

Just a nice warm iron.

Skilly

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On a question of fashion should creases on waders run down the front or the sides?
I feel it is an answer I must know.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,496 Posts
The sides. This is a matter of form following function. Creases on the sides actually serve to cleave the current around your legs and reduce drag. Unless of course you are wading upstream and presenting your fly also upstream for a true drag free presentation. In this case, you should crease in front.

I am experimenting, along with the 16 men of Tain, with a spiral crease in hopes it would create a downforce vortex. The hypothesis is this would increase stability in faster currents. I will let you know how it goes.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey tip...

I am experimenting, along with the 16 men of Tain, with a spiral crease in hopes it would create a downforce vortex. The hypothesis is this would increase stability in faster currents. I will let you know how it goes.
It sounds like it is time for you and OC to head east. :Eyecrazy:

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,496 Posts
I can't speak for OC but in my mind at least, I am already there.

18 days and a wake-up

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Style points do count

And, in the same vein of pride and style as Willie, I too strive to uphold certain genteel standards of fashionable presentation while casting streamside.

I refuse to wear the "Bite Me" shirt with the mustard stains on the belly (my lucky shirt) unless I'm wearing waders, so as to disguise the culinary faux paux. When wading wet I always stick to my "Kiss my Bass" shirt, which I do not wear while eating, and has remained fairly clean for these past 11 seasons.

One must strive to cultivate the little niceties! :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts