Spey Pages banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any recommendations on confirmed open campsites along the eel/south fork eel during winter season? Most of my trips up there will likely be last minute following the weather/flows so camping Is preferred. Or nice/budget lodging as well.

Thanks

· Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Richardson is open, and you can also just stay on some of the bigger bars, Standish hickey is hit or miss. I believe there is a campground in Meyer flat also. Luckily I’m in day trip mileage, so I don’t pay that much attention to camp sites. But will be heading up soon as the flows drop and will pay attention and post what I find for you if someone else doesn’t before then, C-

· Registered
128 Posts
I thought the cabins at the KOA in Benbow were decently priced, comfortable and pretty close to the action. And, I'll second what Bert says. Richardson Grove IN the redwoods is sweet! I've also seen plenty camping on the larger gravel bars. Good luck, I can't wait for it to come into shape though, it looks like it might be a while, storms look to be backed up for a couple of weeks.

· Registered
128 Posts
Anyone seen the SF lately? I plan on heading up this weekend. Anyone else? It should be okay up towards the top. Looks a little heavy still down in Miranda... I hit The Gualala last Saturday, flows were still a little above the "ideal" range with vis a little more than 2'. No love but, at least I got to dust off the big rod. Man, for a short drive (mileage wise) that's a long trek! Beautiful, but long!

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyone seen the SF lately? I plan on heading up this weekend. Anyone else? It should be okay up towards the top. Looks a little heavy still down in Miranda... I hit The Gualala last Saturday, flows were still a little above the "ideal" range with vis a little more than 2'. No love but, at least I got to dust off the big rod. Man, for a short drive (mileage wise) that's a long trek! Beautiful, but long!
I was thinking about heading up this weekend but couldn’t find any buddies that wanted to go. Driving from the Bay Area so makes it a little easier/more motivated to go than going solo. A buddy looked a couple days ago and said it wasn’t quite there but like @bwodun said it should be good by tomorrow/this weekend.

· Registered
15 Posts
I was between Standish hickey and Richardson Grove Saturday through Monday. A tad high, but nice color. Saw more deer swimming in the river (1) than fish. Camped at a site in cooks valley that I found on Hipcamp; next time I will just stay at Standish hickey. Kind of pricey (70) for a not very scenic spot with no river access. The state park upper campground was open, although you can’t necessarily tell online. I will call next time.

· Registered
128 Posts
I hit the Piercy and the Benbow areas pretty hard on Saturday. The water was in great shape up in that area with visibility around 3+ feet. Some of my go to spots were taken but I was able to find good water to fish. River traffic never seemed heavy and my last two spots I had the runs to myself. I saw a few other spey casters, but mostly bait and spoon guys. No reports of any fish from anyone. I was on the water just before 7:00a yesterday at one of the popular take outs up from Benbow and had the whole bar to myself for the two hours I hammered it. After another skunkin, I figured I’d head down river to see how it was around Miranda. I had that bar to myself as well. A few trailers and cars were there but no one fishing. It was still a little too high and pushy with vis maybe, 2 feet. Fished that for another hour plus with nothing then went back up-river a little ways and hit the big bar in Phillipsville. I fished a run there for about another hour when two otters swam up on the opposite bank. I don’t know about you, when I see otters, I tend to bail on the run. You? It was almost noon at that point ,so I called it a day, grabbed a cold beer, coupe slices of cold pizza and packed it up for the long drive home. Anyone else make it up this weekend? If I had the ability to fish this week I would be up there still. It’s on the drop, now is the time!

· Registered
1,923 Posts
I was between Standish hickey and Richardson Grove Saturday through Monday. A tad high, but nice color. Saw more deer swimming in the river (1) than fish. Camped at a site in cooks valley that I found on Hipcamp; next time I will just stay at Standish hickey. Kind of pricey (70) for a not very scenic spot with no river access. The state park upper campground was open, although you can’t necessarily tell online. I will call next time.
Bro, you paid $70 a night for a tent site? Please tell he that was for a heated yurt!

Nathan

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hit the Piercy and the Benbow areas pretty hard on Saturday. The water was in great shape up in that area with visibility around 3+ feet. Some of my go to spots were taken but I was able to find good water to fish. River traffic never seemed heavy and my last two spots I had the runs to myself. I saw a few other spey casters, but mostly bait and spoon guys. No reports of any fish from anyone. I was on the water just before 7:00a yesterday at one of the popular take outs up from Benbow and had the whole bar to myself for the two hours I hammered it. After another skunkin, I figured I’d head down river to see how it was around Miranda. I had that bar to myself as well. A few trailers and cars were there but no one fishing. It was still a little too high and pushy with vis maybe, 2 feet. Fished that for another hour plus with nothing then went back up-river a little ways and hit the big bar in Phillipsville. I fished a run there for about another hour when two otters swam up on the opposite bank. I don’t know about you, when I see otters, I tend to bail on the run. You? It was almost noon at that point ,so I called it a day, grabbed a cold beer, coupe slices of cold pizza and packed it up for the long drive home. Anyone else make it up this weekend? If I had the ability to fish this week I would be up there still. It’s on the drop, now is the time!
im hoping i can actually make it up this weekend and that the water will be in good shape.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts