Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got two newly purchased Nextcast WA lines for two Burkheimer rods. I'm not planning on using these rods and lines on winter fish, but as we get into late fall and water temps drop significantly, and I want to get the flies down a bit.

What are these line capable of? I imagine 10' of T8 wouldn't be a problem, but can you go bigger? 12' of T11? Is that pushing it?

Thanks for all of your insight over the years!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
not the line as much as your skill level..

I know guys who put 11' of T what ever on the end of their 70' lines and can cast them a long long way...

45' w.a. though seem to handle most everything else...

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,408 Posts
Following this thread with interest as I'm pondering picking up a WA 55 for a new Meiser. From what I have heard though, for what I use for winter fishing, I should have no worries. I usually get by with a 15' Type 6 and on rare occasions Type 8.

Back before everything was Skagit this and Skagit that, there were plenty of fish caught with only a 15' type 6. Now it seems everyone is throwing lead eyed dead chickens and T-11 or 14. I did it for a couple of years but I've never been convinced you needed to.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've fished 12' of T-10 on a WA45 7/8 and had no issues. It's the high end for my casting abilities but definitely works. If I feel the need to go deeper I switch over to a skagit at that point, although I'm only fishing it on a 7wt and like xgolfman said the heavier WA lines probably could handle bigger stuff than T-10.
Amazing lines while fishing all the way from floating to Type 6. Have been using the 5/6 on a new Burkie 7127 and loving it!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a wa70 9/10 that I can cast a 9# type 8 tip on using single speys and snake rolls on a 15' rod. I use slender scandi tube flys 2.5 inches long with small tungsten cones and short 2' leaders, plenty big and deep enough for most of the winter fishing up here.

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
I've got two newly purchased Nextcast WA lines for two Burkheimer rods.
What length and weight line and what length tip? There is a big variance between the 30'-ish belly of the WA45 and the 50-55' belly of the WA70. There is less variance than you might think in the tip weights.

T-11 is possible on the 45s and 55s though I haven't done it that often. IMO it is at the limit of what the lines are capable of. I don't have my stats in front of me but if I recall the factory tips weigh in the 85-115gr range depending on line model which would align with that subjective impression. They're fine tip lines but are not skagit heads and they won't handle stuff a skagit easily will. I've tended more to DC tips cut to about 10-12'. More than 12' on a WA70 is more than is fun for me to handle, at my skill level.

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I have a wa70 9/10 that I can cast a 9# type 8 tip on using single speys and snake rolls on a 15' rod. I use slender scandi tube flys 2.5 inches long with small tungsten cones and short 2' leaders, plenty big and deep enough for most of the winter fishing up here.
Nice set up!!!

·
fly on little wing
1,100 Posts
Following this thread with interest as I'm pondering picking up a WA 55 for a new Meiser. From what I have heard though, for what I use for winter fishing, I should have no worries. I usually get by with a 15' Type 6 and on rare occasions Type 8.

Back before everything was Skagit this and Skagit that, there were plenty of fish caught with only a 15' type 6. Now it seems everyone is throwing lead eyed dead chickens and T-11 or 14. I did it for a couple of years but I've never been convinced you needed to.
WA55 with wt7 or wt8 15' tips type 3, type 6 and type 8 will work well.
Gary

·
loco alto!
2,983 Posts
Duh... Burkie 7127 with a WA 45 5/6 -- Burkie 7134 with a WA 45 6/7.
as noted in a recent thread ... T-8 is a good place to start with the WA45 5/6. Also good on the WA45 6/7. 8-12' length. As "troutless" noted above, you can push heavier tips into service with good technique, practice, and experimenting to find the max tip that your skills will allow (when pushing the envelope, recommendations become less prescriptive). Heavier tips without the hassle are most easily driven with a skagit head, to throw T-11 on the 7127 and T-14 on the 7134, or heavier if you work at it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts