Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Spey Is The Way
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question, I live in the east where we fish spring, summer and fall. I understand (I think) that out west you have winter fishing. If it gets around the freezing mark do you have to be careful with your graphite rod or does it matter? Are they more brittle in the cold.

·
fly on little wing
1,136 Posts
dude,

i've been in 0F to minus F conditions. casted and landed fish. no worries on equipment. just frost nip to me.

Gary

·
Registered
360 Posts
cold weather and rods.

Winter is Coarse in the Great Lakes due to the Continental polar air masses, opposed to the the Maritime polar air masses of B.C. Cold weather has little affect on the molecular structure of graphite.

·
Administrator
19,701 Posts
M.J.Adams said:
Winter is Coarse in the Great Lakes due to the Continental polar air masses, opposed to the the Maritime polar air masses of B.C. Cold weather has little affect on the molecular structure of graphite.

WOW !!! :whoa: Sounds good !! Sold me !! :D

Mike

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Gotta Love It!

spey machine said:
..................Leo,carbon fiber is inert. It is not affected by heat or cold. Only the person holding it is.:chuckle:
Correct answer!:hihi:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
The real issue

is with the resin that holds the graphite fibers together. While both fibers and resin are fine at the temperatures we can put up with, I would not leave a rod in the tube in a closed car back window, for example.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts