241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try the new Winston MS series?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Winston

Was wondering how you would describe its action. I own an ACR trout spey that I love and was wondering if there would be any comparisons.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have the 4wt microspey and I recently sold an ACR Spey in the same weight. I have only lawn cast the MS so I can't offer a detailed review. Compared to the ACR the MS is faster and feels lighter. IMO - Both are good rods depending on your stroke and preference. The ACR was a bit slow for my casting style.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have cast the Winston 4 wt. Microspey and two of Gary Anderson's 4 wts. All are outstanding casters, in my opinion and all cast lines in the same grain weight range. I do think that the Winston feels lighter in the hand, maybe because of the blank, but maybe because of lighter grip and hardware. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those rods. Gary does supply a well-matched line with his rods, which is a very nice plus.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I fished the Winston 3wt MS today on the Yakima river. Did very well swinging a cone head olive bunny leech using a 240 Scandi with a 10' type 6 tip. Easily able to throw 40-50ft of line. The largest Rainbow at 15" put a very nice bend all the way to the butt! The rod is very light and I had to slow down my stroke to be able to load the rod properly with that particular line. I've got a 225 and 250 Skagit head that I will be trying next time.

Have a 3wt ACR coming and will hopefully be able to do a comparison then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts