Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how good the cork is on a Winston spey rod. I've seen cork on some Sage fly rods that was pretty bad. I'd hate to give a premium price for a rod and have the handle fall apart. I'd also like to know if the rod is worth the high price.

·
Registered
678 Posts
[MEDIA][/MEDIA]The cork on the half dozen or so single hand and two handed Winston rods that I have owned has been excellent. Both in terms of the cork quality and the nice slim profile - lots of feel. My only beef, and it's not been a deal breaker, is that on some rods it's been a touch shorter than my preference.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
David1123

The Winston spey rod I'm considering is the 12' 9" 7wt. Does anyone know length of the forward grip.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Winston

Winston finishes all of their rods with only the best materials. I have a few B2X's that are still absolutely beautiful to fish and look at even though the cork is a little dirty. The cork they use awesome and some of the best I have seen. if your worried about the price, don't you wont be dissatisfied.

·
Registered
552 Posts
+1 JSpey's comment. Winstons are first class rods, and worth every penny.

Jim

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
My opinion of their cork is sub par, great rods but the cork is or at least was very poor. When I worked at a shop we did a weekly casting clinic and would see a lot of Winstons come through(we where not a dealer) and all but a few had bad cork with a lot of filler even brand new ones. I would check one out before I bought it for the price they charge. It would not be a complete deal breaker for me but for some it might.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Winston Cork

Not to disagree with other postings, but rather to relate my own experience with Winston: I own 11 of their rods; 2 B2X speys, 3 GVX specials (the sweetest dry fly rod I have cast), and 6 B2X's single handers. The cork has held up well after in some cases many years of abuse. While I am not an expert on cork, Winston's is the equal to the cork on a high end custom J D Wagner bamboo rod, and a whale of a lot better than the cork on even some of my more expensive "name brand" imported rods.

HTH

Jim

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
David1123

I've decided to stay with Meiser rods. In my opinion Meiser rods are not only beautiful, he also uses the best cork in the world.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts