Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang:

I came into a little money and I'm looking at getting a winston micro-spey or switch. My home water isn't huge. Average steelhead (Great Lakes Rainbow)on this river is 22 - 24 inches, getting as big as 26- 28.

I've been fishing a redington 6 weight switch with a 420 airflo skagit switch. I like it because it casts great in tight quarters and can turn over a ten foot piece of t-8 when I need to get down in cold water. I'm wondering if I could still cast this with the 5 weight 11.5 foot "micro-spey" or if I should pick up the 11 foot 6 weight switch? (Its a good problem to have, but the rods are expensive enough that I don't want to get it wrong.)

I dont' mind going to a 390 or 360 head on the 5... it might be great, I am just curious if the forum thinks I can kick over that tip.

Thanks,

Slint

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Totally agree with Blackie.

You could turn it over, but I wouldn't target steelhead with a trout spey ever again. Especially since 6 and 7 weights are so light these days.
These ultra light 2handers are 'trout rods' and should be used for that purpose. My guess is you get a fish at 5# and over you've maxed out the rod design.

fae

·
Registered
983 Posts
I use t8 on 360gr skagit on my 11' 7wt Winston (which is rated at single hand, so a 5wt two hander). Lands those same fish just fine..and casts awesome. Truth is..my go to rod up there is slightly heavier.

Personally I would go for either of the BIII-TH 6wt's....for more versatility.

Tom L. has some good notes on these rods...
http://www.larimeroutfitters.com/co...pey-rods-review-and-spey-line-recommendations

·
Registered
56 Posts
Personally I would go for the 5 weight. You already have a 6, and going smaller will expand your arsenal.

I have a 5 weight Sage that likes a 350gr Skagit and 330gr Rage. This is in the same weight rage as the 5 weight Winston.

My 5 weight handles fish to 10lbs just fine, and will easily throw 10' of T-7.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i'm really big on the 10'4 beulah platinum switch

Line, cast, and fish it like a short spey
it will handle the fish you target no issue

really is a prefect GL Small/medium water rod
RAMCATT
What lines are you running on the platinum switch? I run Elixer 325 Scandi and Tonic 350 Skajit but I'm looking for a good switch line.

Slint - I'll be curious to see what you get and how you like it. I ordered the 4wt Winston microspey last week and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival. Winston makes my favorite rods but I have not played with their switch rods much.

The Beulah platinum switch are nice well built rods but quite a bit heavier than a B3. My platinum 10'4" 6 wt switch is 5.2oz compared to 4.875 oz for the B3TH 11' 6wt switch. My shoulder is still sore from SH beach casting the platinum a couple days ago.

·
Registered
635 Posts
i fish a 350g ishort head with a 6'-8' level mono leader (no tip) with my 15mm or 35mm wadding ton shank flies

i fish and line it as a rod for spey casting
"switch" as in switching between single and double handed spey casting

it would never cross my mind to single hand OH cast it
but i'd imagine you wouldn't need more than 2 backcasts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.