Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if this issue has been discussed, in any case I have missed it !

Have anyone tried the new IBIS Series from Winston. I am particularely interested in the 12´6" Spey, the 9´ for a #6 and the 10´for a #7.

Also does Winston have a home page, I have not been able to find it.

Thanks
Michael

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Funny cause I actually tried that link previous without luck. It works for me now - thanks.

Michael

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
The Ibis #6 Spey is a very nice rod (the #9 is too soft and has too light of a tip) that handles flies up to say a size 6 without a problem. It however, does not have as much power as the Sage 6126 but it does taper down into a fairly stiff butt that provides decent fishing fighting power.

The 9' #6 is a great single-hander and one of the better ones for the money (as are most of the Ibis rods). The 10' for a #7 is not a favorite of mine as it is tip heavy, has a fairly stiff but and does not have a smooth progressive action that many of the other Ibis rods have.

·
Registered
25 Posts
New Ibis user

Michael,
I just reecently purchased the 12'6" #6/7 Spey. It is my first experience with a Spey and I have to say I love it so far. Now I don't have any experience casting other rods but this rod seems to suit me well here in N. Minnesota. We have smaller rivers and streams. I received the recommendation from the folks at The Fly Fishing Shop in Welches, OR. They consider it a great summer Steelhead rod. They did a short report on it in one of their newsletters. I have it set up with a Lamson Litespeed 3.5 reel and the Rio Windcutter with tips line. I did land 2 nice Coaster Brook Trout with it last week but I think it will serve me well next spring for our Steelhead run.
Birdog

1 - 5 of 5 Posts