Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have an IBIS 12 1/2' 6/7 with an Airflo Delta Spey. The rod is perfect for dry line stuff but I'm not sure about tips. I've used both Poly leaders and a 6 foot section of T-14 and the rod just can't turn either over. Granted, I'm trying to turn over the entire head PLUS extra grains with either the Poly or the T-14 so this might be the trouble, coupled with the fact that I'm still pretty much a beginner.

I really would prefer not to buy an 8 or 9 weight to handle tips (seeing as how if I buy one now I'll only use it for the next month or so until the next winter steelhead run) and don't want to front $150 to buy a WC with tips sooo...
Should I get my Delta chopped and have the T-14 looped to the back portion of the head? Do you think that'll help me turn the extra weight over or should I just suck it up and pay for the WC w/ Tips?

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
If you're saying that you are taking a floating delta line and trying to attach T14 ot heavy tips to it, then no, that wont work. You have to cut back past the taper to the meat of the line in order to turn over the T14.

But first, just how deep are you trying to get? I have that line and a couple of light rods and can tell you that the line does turn over poly leaders very nicely, but you need to get the 10 foot trout poly leaders, you cannot use the heavy salmon poly leaders. The trout poly leaders are 10 feet and have a breaking strength of 12 pounds, weighing around 35 grains. The Salmon poly's are 24 pound strength and weigh twice as much. That Ibis should have no problem turning over that line with trout polys on it. You might cut the line back a foot to get past the level section of the tip, then attach your braided loop.

If you want a cheap way to try some heavy tips (sounds like you already have some sink tip material) go on EBay and buy a cheap double taper 10 weight line and cut it back to the point where you have about 40 feet of level line ahead of the rear taper. You can attach your sink tip material from there and adjust the casting weight by adjusting the amount of line outside the rod tip, but 40 feet should be close to good. Also, you might want to buy a light type 8 tip. You'll have much better success with a sink tip that weighs around 100 grains than a heavier tip. You can order the type 8 tip that goes with the 6/7 Delta for about 20 bucks. It will behave much better than T14 on that light rod.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Moose. I'm trying get a fly down a foot or so fairly quickly b/c I'm not using weighted flies.

If I do go with a type 8 tip, should I get the line chopped back the exact length of the tip or farther back?

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
If you're only wanting to get down a foot or 2, given moderate flows, I'd go with the poly leaders I spoke of in my previous post. Call Mike at Red Shed (forum sponsor) and talk to him about it. Tell him what line you have and mention the sinking trout poly leaders. If you really want to cut that Delta for tips, I'd talk to mike about ordering a tip for the line and cut it at the same length (12 feet i believe) as the tip.

The poly's will be easier to cast. If you're trying to throw the tips, make sure you get the line tight, then lift slowly and fairly high before going into your upstream sweep, or better yet, stick to the snap C til you get a good feel for casting with tips. I would not even bother with that T14 on that rod, and I'd not worry a bit about the rod you're using, Winstons are great rods.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.