Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put this one in the wrong forum orginally-

Has anyone heard anything about Winston & Derek Brown Rods - is this a going concern for the long term.

There have been published reviews. Is there anyone who uses this rod series on a semi-frequent basis and can offer an opinion ?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Going, going, gone?

I heard through the rumour mill that this will be the last year for Winston making these rods. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
It seems these rods came, we saw and we didn't like. After an initial surge of interest, I guess fueled by the aura of Derek Brown himself, these rods lost their appeal. I think they were probably a little too "British" in that they were heavier in the tip and overall weight for the North American taste. They certainly could boom the line out there, but in general were not very popular.

Personally the 15' model I cast was just plain too heavy for the rod you got, I didn't like it. At one of the claves this past Jan/Feb someone put a 14' Derek Brown into my hands - it was actually not bad! Maybe the lighter models are worth a look, you could probably pick one up cheap.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've also been told the DBF's are pretty much built one at a time. You order one and you get one. I could be wrong. It will be interesting to see if their be any specials out there this summer. Thats when there suppose to be done with the DBF line. Just like the CND I wonder who'll jump on the next new Winston Spey bandwagon?

·
Registered
267 Posts
The 'relationship' between Derek and Winston is over but not the rods. They will continue to be available. The 14' rod is in the new IBIS rod series, which also includes a 12'6" model for 6/7 lines.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Rehashed?

So your saying the new 14' Ibis is just a rehashed disguised DBF? Here I was really interested in a new line of rods only to find out your saying their not.:confused:

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Just to clarify a couple things...

The DBF's are totally seperate of the Ibis Rods.

The Ibis Spey rods were introduced to offer consumers a price point Spey rod...the Ibis single handers were introduced to do the same thing.

The DBF's and Ibis Speys are night and day, differnt rods! They in no way compare...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I Knew That!

i was just trying to clear the air. It was Tackleman that made it sound like the just moved the 14' DBF into the Ibis lineup. I myself had thought about the 12'6'. Till I found an Orvis TL 7wt on closeout.

·
Steelhead Dreamer
462 Posts
Lambchop,
Kindly say hello to Cheri for me:>
Regards,

·
Steelhead Dreamer
462 Posts
Cheri was the puppeteer on the the Ed Sullivan Show who's puppet was named "Lambchop":>)

Regards,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts