Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about getting a Winston 7/8wt 13' 3" DH rod blank to build. I had someone tell me that the older boron IIx series cast much smoother than the current boron III models ( I realize what one person feels is a smooth casting rod may not be the same for another person) . Unfortunately I live somewhere where I cant get my hands on either one to try out myself.

Would like anyone's input that has been able to cast those 2 series of Winston DH rods. I haven't been able to locate a 13' 3" 7/8wt BIIx yet - so it might end up becoming a moot point

Regards
Bigfoot

·
R J Ruwe
260 Posts
Back in 1979, I made a really sweet 13' Rodon Boron/Graphite rod for a friend. Cast like a dream and now I wish I had had the money to buy about a doz. of the blanks. I made a number of single hand rods on Rodon blanks and I wouldn't ever sell one of them. I am not sure why boron composite blanks and rods didn't go over bigger than they have, but I love the ones I made from Lamiglas, Fenwick, and Rodon.

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
I fish a 13 3 7/8 B2x 95 percent of the time. It by far the best rod I have ever had in my hands. I got to fish a run last week using the 3X. The 3x is put together well, just felt a little faster. You cant go wrong with either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts