Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting this rod as my summer, back-up winter rod. What are your thoughts on:

-Action
-Casting
-Scandi or Skagit type rod (how does it handle longer lines?)

Just overall, how do you like it?

Never owned a Winston and just wanted to buy one, once in my life. But I don't like finicky, hard to cast type rods. I'm a smooth, let the rod work for you caster. If this fits that bill, I'm on board.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow! No responses? :whoa:

Where are the Winston guys? :confused:

Avio :D

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Trident.

That was my thoughts, that it is a strong 6wt, that would work for winter steelhead as a back up, and be great for summer steel as my primary. I like an easy casting rod, and one that is not too picky on the lines. Your report makes it sound promising! Thanks.

·
Registered
850 Posts
We have one in the boat for winters and not as a back up. Fish into the teens are not a problem. Awesome casting rod and so fun to fish.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I picked one up today. Tried it out with an 480gr Airflo skagit. It is a nice rod to cast. 480 felt good, might try a 450 or 510 to see what feels the best. I agree this is a strong rod for a 6wt! I don't think I will have any issues bringing in a bigboy on this rod.:cool:

Anyone else have a line recommendation?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Good idea on grabing one!

450 skagit is what I like on it. Throws 12' of T11 no prob. Used 480 a few times on small rivers so it will just roll it over with a bit less effort.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good idea on grabing one!

450 skagit is what I like on it. Throws 12' of T11 no prob. Used 480 a few times on small rivers so it will just roll it over with a bit less effort.
Yeah I was leaning to the 450. The 480 felt a little sluggish. The 510 would probably load the stiff butt, but I would rather use a lighter line and cast more off the tip.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Winston fans, where you are?

I own III TH-MS and I love it.
What can you say about it's big brother, Boron III TH? I didnt see any review of this rod on Youtube yet.

My primary DH rod is broken, so I need an a replacement.
Targeting atlantic salmon and sea-run browns, mostly on scandi lines and light tips, skagit occasionally too.
I'm leaning towards deep loading, not too stiff rods

1 - 8 of 8 Posts