Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a chance to play a bit with this rod at the Spey Clave and was interested in the opinions of others.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At the spey clave Winston had some new rods. One of which was the 13'3 7/8. The rod weighs 6 3/4 oz and was a pleasure to cast. The Rep had a SA short head on the rod that seemed to fit. I was only able to cast on the grass and was wondering if anyone had a chance to hit the water with it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It is a new rod and not yet in the catalog. They had 3 Boron rods at the clave and it will be in the shops in june sometime. I tried it on the water with a short head SA and then later with a 7/8 Rio wincutter. It is 13 feet 3 inches and had great 'feel'. They also had a 8 wt. 13 and a 9 wt 14. The best match for my casting style was the 7. This rod was right up there with the Burkheimer and the Mieser rods. Some rods have a nice feel just holding the rod. This was one of them. Each year as I drive home from the clave I dream of my favorite. This 7 wt. was my dream rod this year. Last year it was the 7/8/9 Burkheimer 13 feet 9 inch one. Jerry

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had the 13' 8 in hand for a few tosses. The action on the 13'3 seemed to be more alive, but not soft.

·
Registered
869 Posts
due to some inside connections i got to fish this rod for a few weeks as a prototype. definitly one of the best things winston has done in a long time. i use the T&T 13-7 a ton and this winston is in the same league. much softer feeling than the T&T but with just as much power. the thing with it too is that it casts a much heavier line than rated. we had the best success with about 550 grains of head and it seemed to change into an even better feeling rod. for wc's the 8/9/10 was the ticket. i used it mostly with a modified long belly cut back for tips that has a head weight of 500 grains coupled with about 10 ft of t-14. which it handled beautifully and is the same line i use on the T&T. all in all a perfect addition to the b2x line up, rumor has it a 15-10 is on the way as well. i will try to weasel the details on that this week and post any finding as soon as reliable. here is a pic of the prototype success note there are no markings on the blank. they should be available for the fall season.

Attachments

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
curious

hello B.F. are you casting in a traditional style or skagit? the lines you listed sound somewhat heavy to me but i see you use the same ones on your T&T 1307. a "modified long belly" would suggest traditional, but i would like to be clear.

nice photo! which state were you fishing? a muddler and plenty of leader showing, makes me wonder......

thanks. SG

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I had the opportunity to play with the rod this weekend. Thanks to Mark at the FlyFishing Shop I was able to compare a 7136 (green), TT 1307, and the Winston. I tried the following lines:

WC 6/7/8 floater
WC 6/7/8 with intermediate tip
WC 6/7/8 with sink tips 3,6, and the monster tip for my 9140
WC 9/10/11 floater
WC 7/8/9 floater
Delta 7/8

On the 7136 I was most comfortable with the 6/7/8 floater.
On the 1307 I was most comfortable with the 6/7/8 with Intermediate tip
The Winston was comfortable with all of the above, but felt better with the heaver lines, but the 9/10/11 was on the edge.

The 7136 would not lift a tip well (no suprise), the 1307 would pull the tip on a short lift, the winston needed a longer lift but has no problem with the full head and tips.

The short head lines were the best match on the Winston for most of the conditions, but when I found room for the Delta Spey D loop the full head was not a problem. The 1307 and the Winston stood up to the wind.

My conclusion was that the Winston, for me, has the soft feel of the 7136 and most of the power of the 1307. The only challenge will be to find a reel with enough capacity that will balance the 6 3/4 oz rod weight.

Thanks again to Mark for letting me use his 1307 and loaning the Winston and the multiple lines.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Redbone,

Thanks for a very useful comparison report.
Now my question is: how does the 13' 3" Winston compare with the 13' 4" CND Solstice 6/7 (my current gottahaveit)?

·
Registered
869 Posts
sg,
i cast the way i cast, i really don't know what to call it. probably a combo of every style. i mostly use reverse and reg doubles with the sinktips and weighted flies. if i use weighted flies i usually don't snap-t as i'm scared of the fly breaking the rod if i screw up. the modified line is an old sa long taper 10/11 with the head cut at 40'. this weighs around 465 grains and then either 5 or 10' of t-14. this is essentialy a longer skagit type setup which is the perfect length for our water. typicaly casting around 50'-60' without so much stripping as a standard skagit. it also has a good back taper, something that i feel the skagit line is lacking. the winston just seems to cast better with an overlined line in my style of casting. everyone else who has fished this rod agrees that it performs best when bent into the butt. the fish is a WNY resident drop back from a small stream that flows through my hometown. the fly is a sculpin pattern that is just under 4" long with rabbit fur. this was cast with the cut back line and a 7' intermidiate poly leader. that is pretty much the range of stuff cast with that rod in a fishing situation. i am admittadly way more of a fisherman than a caster and my lines and casting style reflect that.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
B.F. thanks for the reply. with the skagit style and new lines now offered its another facet to figure when talking a rod line fit.

as for casting........ well, mine leaves plenty to desire.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nooksack Mac, I have not tested the CND yet, so no opinion on that.

Black Francis, I am like you in that my casting style is a hybrid. I agree that the Winston, like so many rods, works best when loaded to the butt. One thing I observed was that the Winston seemed to generate sufficent power from the upper portion and when needed provided additional, seemingly unending, power from the butt. I have not has a chance to play a fish on the rod. Would you be willing to share your experience playing that dandy fish with the rod?

·
Banned
974 Posts
Deschutes River

Redbone,

I noticed that you list the Deschutes and Sandy as your home waters. What do you think of the Winston for the Deschutes (and to a lesser extent) the Sandy. And, have you tried the CND Solstice line? What rods do you prefer for the Deschutes? I ask because we have booked a trip to the Deschutes Oct. 3 - 5th and I would like fish the Sandy someday.

Thanks,
David Dornblaser

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
David,

All my testing was done on the Deschutes. The Winston met all my expectations for a Deschutes River Stick. I was able to produce fishable casts with the wind. I would be unafraid to use it on the Sandy for summer fish. For winters, a bigger gun is my preference.

On the Deschutes I use my 7136 with floater in the still air, when the sun hits the water I will put a poly leader on to sink the fly. When the wind kicks up I will switch to my 9140, over kill but it is what I have. This is the reason I am looking at new rods. I have not tried the Solstice yet.

On the Sandy it is the 9140 all the way.

·
Banned
974 Posts
Thanks

Redbone,

Thanks. We will taking out the 13'4" CND Solstice and the 13' BIIx 8/9 with us. My wife is going to be taking up two-handed rods so another rod is in order.

David Dornblaser

·
Banned
6 Posts
which do you like better?

The cnd or the winston? What kind of cork does the winston have? I noticed the winston has really cool cork, really smooth.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update

The rod has arrived. Spent most of a morning with the Mark and crew at the Flyfishing Shop experimenting with various reels to balance the rod. I think we tried every spey capable reel in their inventory. We found that the rod needs a 10 to 11 ounce reel to balance, chose the Hardy Angel 9/10. We then loaded the prefered reel with a 8/9/10 WC and backing to check for reel capacity and overall balance with the head out of the rod tip. The reel loaded with 150 yards of 50 TUF backing and the line was a bit tight, so 25 feet of running line was removed the reel load and the balance was dead on.

Had my first oppertunity last Monday on the Deschutes to play with the new toy. Experimented with all of the tip combinations in moderate to extreme wind conditions.

Wow, what a joy to cast. I was able to create fishable casts when my brother and his 7141 gave up. I am really looking forward to the final test of hooking a nice bright fish to judge the fighting characteristics of the combination.

Thanks again to Mark, Patty, Bob, John for your time and knowledge.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts