Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen a lot of reviews for the new Winstons. Anyone have time with both the 12'9" 7wt and 13'3" 7wt able to compare the two the rods?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I threw the 7133 when a buddy bought it, he only had a Skagit so that's all I got to play with but WOW! It was probably April of this year and I still have dreams about that rod. I know this doesn't really help but I say just buy one if that's what your getting at, you will not be disappointed

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replies

Thanks for the replies guys. Not surprised to hear positive feedback. Suppose I should try and test drive both at a local shop.

More feedback welcome.

Cheers

·
Registered
43 Posts
I fish pacific northwest rivers for steelhead. I took my time test casting both of these rods and decided on the 12'9. Tested both skagit, rage, and scandi heads on both rods, and in my opinion the 12'9 was the rod for me. Mind you, that even though there is not much of a length difference between the two, both of these rods cast, and feel completely different.

I highly suggest you go cast both of these with different line applications like I did. My local fly shop was more than happy to accommodate the elaborate test drive. If you are going to lay close to 1000.00 on a rod, then you should really take your time.

·
Registered
193 Posts
FWIW, I was able to cast the 12'6" 6wt a couple months ago in this model - I thought it acted in every way like at least a 7. If you haven't, you might check that one out to see if it meets your needs in a slightly shorter version of the BIIIX.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I fish pacific northwest rivers for steelhead. I took my time test casting both of these rods and decided on the 12'9. Tested both skagit, rage, and scandi heads on both rods, and in my opinion the 12'9 was the rod for me. Mind you, that even though there is not much of a length difference between the two, both of these rods cast, and feel completely different.

I highly suggest you go cast both of these with different line applications like I did. My local fly shop was more than happy to accommodate the elaborate test drive. If you are going to lay close to 1000.00 on a rod, then you should really take your time.
How would you describe the difference? I have both the b2x 6126 and 7133. I am quite curious as to the 12’9” b3x.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
97 Posts
I own the 7129 biiix. I really like it. I cast a skagit switch 510 or a 510 intermediate a mile with any tip and bug combo you want. I havent found a dry line head Im really digging on the rod though. I have a 480 rage and a 450 rage and both are ok but nothing to get to excited about. Im planning on a 450 rio scandi and 480 rio scandi next. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I own the 7129 biiix. I really like it. I cast a skagit switch 510 or a 510 intermediate a mile with any tip and bug combo you want. I havent found a dry line head Im really digging on the rod though. I have a 480 rage and a 450 rage and both are ok but nothing to get to excited about. Im planning on a 450 rio scandi and 480 rio scandi next. Hope this helps.
I would try a Nextcast Fall Fav 45. Love them on my b2x’s.

·
Registered
43 Posts
How would you describe the difference? I have both the b2x 6126 and 7133. I am quite curious as to the 12’9” b3x.
Thanks,
Mike
I called Winston about this very question. The answer was simple, the 12'9 is beefed up alot more than the 13'3 in order to please the short rod skagit head guys like myself. The 13'3 is a softer rod but lacks the brute power of the 12'9. The 12'9 is also 1 ounce heavier even though it is shorter if that tells you something. I would say that the 13'3 is the elegant beauty that does it all while the 12'9 is the hardcore workhorse that also does it all.

For those who have not been able to get a good dryline configuration on the 12'9 you must not listen to the grain window specified for this rod. The people that developed these rods naturally like light lines so I found the 510 scandi to be perfect for this rod as it was able to routinely put out tight loops and gentle landings.

The only problem with the 12'9 that I have found is that it is very easy to cast too far when in my neck of the woods stupid long casts are just not necessary.

What is amazing is that the description of the 12'9 would make people think its a telephone pole but it is just the opposite. I fell in love with this rod before I spent the money on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.