Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
3 wt Winston Micro Spey

I have both the 3 & 5 wt & really like them both. I have cast many lines on the 3 wt and I definitely like lines at the upper end of the grain window. My favorite by far is the Rio Scandi Short 275gr. Versa Tip. for me, it brings out the full performance of this rod and is very versatile from smaller soft hackles to medium streamer type patterns. The Rio skagit short in 275gr is also a good match for me.

For the MS 5 wt I prefer lines on the lower end of the grain window. The Rio Skagit Short 325 and Rio Scandi Short 320 Versa Tip are great matches. I am finding the newer light spey and switch rod recomendations from many different companies interesting.

Lawrence S

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - have you tried an Ambush on the 3? I have both the 250 and 275 skagit and they cast well.... but not really in a true Skagit style (at least not with 5' floating/5'sink mow). Am I just really rusty or did you notice that as well?

·
Registered
678 Posts
I've not tried the Winston microspeys, but I believe Tom Larmier had a role in designing both these rods, and the new Airflo trout spey lines. Given that, I'd wager that they complement one another quite well. But I dunno.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Thanks - have you tried an Ambush on the 3? I have both the 250 and 275 skagit and they cast well.... but not really in a true Skagit style (at least not with 5' floating/5'sink mow). Am I just really rusty or did you notice that as well?
Yes I have tried the Ambush 6 at 235gr. (18' head) and it casts really tight loops ( I actually cast that line about an hour ago) but for actual fishing & versatility I would bump up to an Ambush 7 wt.at 266gr (23' head) & get a full set of Airflow poly leaders or Rio Versi leaders & you will be a happy camper.

Lawrence S

1 - 5 of 5 Posts