Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a two-handed rod for atlantic salmon fishing on the Main SW Miramichi and the Cains Rivers in New Brunswick. I currently use either a seven or eight weight single-handed rod for both wet fly and dry fly fishing these rivers. I have access to a Sage 14 foot 9wt rod, but thought a 7wt rod might be a better choice. Do any of you have any first-hand experience with the Winston 712LT? What are your opinions of the rod? Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Winston 712 LT has a very soft tip w/ moderate mid and butt section.

It is very light and has a short fore grip. In my hands I think it feels awkward w/ the short grip. I think the rod loads too easily and does not pack a punch. If only it had a stiffer tip and longer fore grip.

I have the Orvis 1267-3 and it is a very nice rod to take into consideration. It throws a good line on smaller streams and at a good price of $515. Dana wrote up a review of the 1268-3, which I believe to be identical to the 1267-3, but w/ one live size heavier, in the Spey pages site, check it out.

One other rod I have interest in is the Scott 1287-3, but have only heard other threads about this rod.

Anyway, good luck!

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Light Spey rods

The Scott Arc 1287-3 is nice rod. Light weight and predictable with a traditional action that gets down into the middle of the rod. Talk to spey_ bubba and Rick Jorgensen for first hand info on this rod.

T &T makes a 1307-3 that is also a very nice little rod. Faster than the Scott but still a nice stick.

JD

·
Registered
914 Posts
I don't have any experience with the Winston, but Kerry Burkheimer's 13'3" 7/8/9 would also be a perfect rod. It matches perfectly with the new SA XLT 7 weight if you like casting the length you're fishing instead of "strip and shoot" of windcutters. I've managed 110' casts with the rod (ideal conditions), but the rod handles shorter lenghts as well. If you're fishing windcutters, the 8 wt might be better.
bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts