Spey Pages banner

Winston 7110-4 Bii-x

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  kweetech 
#1 · (Edited)
This rod has also become redundant with the purchase of a Meiser switch.
I find this rod is more of a 5-6 wt rod. *It casts beautifully with a 390 compact skagit.
Being Boron it is super light in hand.

Warranty card was sent in by the previous owner but I got this used from M & Y flyshop and they helped me when I needed the warranty on the third section which was just replaced. *Hasn't been cast since.

Too many switches in the same wieght.

SOLD!

Postal money order or PayPal gift option otherwise add 3% if purchased with goods option.*

#2 · (Edited)
I already have two of these rods so I'm not interested in this one but to anyone who is, this is the perfect rod. I bought my first one right when they first came out and back then nobody really knew what to do with it. It was sort of considered a gimmick rod and nobody, including Winston, even knew what line to put on it to really use it as a two hander. Now we know. With a 390 or 420gn Airflo Rage line for summer fishing and a 450 or 480gn Airflo Skagit Switch line for winter with tips (T-8, T-11, T-14 all cast beautifully) this rod will cast 100' just as well as any other and it's lighter, easier to fish and MUCH more fun to play fish on than the bigger ones. With over 20 two handers (man, that sounds unhealthy when I say it out loud) I would say, and have said this for years, that if I could only have one rod it would be the Winston 11' 7wt. BIIx. It's really an amazingly sweet rod that truly does do it all. Go catch a fish on one of these and then catch one on a 13 or 14 foot 7 or 8wt. and you'll be a convert too. Something crazy has happened in steelhead fishing in the last ten years or so.... everyone used to use a 9' 6-8wt. single hander for these fish and now the majority uses these massive rods that in single hand terms would be a 10 or 12 wt.! In my opinion most people are out there using a tarpon rod to catch steelhead... it's like trout fishing with a fast graphite 7 or 8wt. Do yourself a favor and buy this rod. You'll love it.

#6 ·
Right, well after trying many line weights and lengths on that rod and experimenting and talking with guide friends and other prominent casters and instructors around the Pacific Northwest those are the lines that work the best. One of the reasons this is considered a niche or special use rod is that it isn't being lined with the right line so therefore it has limitations. The lines I've mentioned put this rod right up there among the best.

#9 ·
Its not a niche rod by any means, just rated as a single hand rod, and more of 5/6 in modern switch/spey ratings.
Folks originally tried to line it with "spey" 7wt ratings, and found it clunky...moving to lighter lines really made the rod sing.
Of course we all cast differently, and not saying it can't be done...but pushing mid 400gr's just seems excessive for this rod...and contrary to most people's experiences who own and love this rod.

#8 ·
fished a friends all day a few weeks ago. one of the best light trout 2 handers i've thrown. 7wt only on the label. should be a 5/6. absolutely religious with a 325 elixir scandi and 10' polys. not overkill even on the 14"ers. only lacking when the wind started blowin 20 plus. but then, most people head home anyway, right? :eek:

#10 ·
I suppose if you're fishing for trout with this rod we're coming at it from opposite directions. As far as the 450gn line I'm talking about using this rod to cast a solid 80 feet (12 good long strips of Varivas) with winter flies on 10-12 feet of T-11 and T-14. For summer flies, sure, 390 is perfect. A friend and I were in B.C. this year catching 10-20lb fish with this rod and really putting the wood to them with no problem whatsoever. Like I said, I've tried just about every weight and length on this thing over the years and (again, this is for big winter flies only) it was the 450gn Skagit Switch that really brought on a strong WOW! My buddy lost his 450 head to a tree snag last month and had to put on a 480 and in his opinion it's even better than the 450. I still use the 450 though. I know it's nice with 400 but with 450 and a sloooowwww cast it really bombs out there with ease.

#12 ·
Winston suggests using 401 to 432 grain lines on this rod and those are generally floating line suggestions. When the rod first came out I asked them what line to use on it and was told, "I don't know, maybe a 7wt. steelhead taper?" I do understand that many people love it with around 400 grains (and I'm one of them) but for winter just give a short, under 20ft., 450 a try and then comment. Don't knock it till you've tried it.

#13 ·
I did throw a 420 short on it once. I didn't like it at all...way too clunky. Early recommendations were for heavy lines, as I mentioned.
Years ago, I talked at length with the guys from Beulah, as they were one of the few making "switch" lines, or anything "short" at the time. They gave me a couple lines to try based on what they had tried. That's where the elixir 295/335 came into play. Once some of these lighter skagit shorts came around..gave the rod even more versatility. Winston never had a real feel for what it was...other than it being a longer 7wt single hander. Its really come into its own with the lighter gr. short lines available today...the mystery on how to line this rod is long gone.

The short 360gr. pulls 10ft of t11 fine, and medium sized conehead, leech and marabou just fine, and casting as far as I want...everything I need it to do for GL steelhead.

Heavier grains might works best for your casting style...but it certainly isn't best for everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.