Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just bought this rod to use with floating lines, maybe a light polyleader, and wanted to get some ideas on lines.

I want to go with something longer than a regular scandi and I've been looking at Nexcast lines. I've never used any other their products so I'm clueless as far as their options. I sent them an email a few weeks ago but never heard anything back.

Anybody have any recommendations as far as which model and grain weight? Or, any other options for a long scandi?

Thank you!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey guys,

I just bought this rod to use with floating lines, maybe a light polyleader, and wanted to get some ideas on lines.

I want to go with something longer than a regular scandi and I've been looking at Nexcast lines. I've never used any other their products so I'm clueless as far as their options. I sent them an email a few weeks ago but never heard anything back.

Anybody have any recommendations as far as which model and grain weight? Or, any other options for a long scandi?

Thank you!
https://www.beulahflyrods.com/product/aero-head-line/

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I like both the 45' Fall Favorite and the Arrowhead. in the grain weight you'll be looking at I think the Beulah will be a few feet longer.

·
Registered
886 Posts
flyjunky,

+1 on the Aerohead, I use them a lot. A FF55 in 450-475gr or WA55 5/6 would be the Nextcast equivalent. Either of those lines is exactly what you've described and work really well on your 6133. The Red Shed carries Aeroheads and can send you a demo for a free, no obligation trial. Best thing you can do is give Poppy (or Dale) a call and give it a try on you rod.

·
Bob Rodgers
222 Posts
flyjunky,

Tom turned me on to an Aerohead line last year. I've had a lot of fun with it and when I do my part, it really carries the mail.

Be well,
Bob

·
Premium Member
3,384 Posts
Yes, as people said the main options are the Nextcast FF45 and the Beulah aero head. I don’t know that specific rod but a good guess would be the 450 gr for either. But at that weight the FF45 is only a little longer than a scandi compact and at 37.5’ basically the same length as a longer scandi. Maybe that is what you actually want. Unfortunately the aero heads shrink a lot too for the lower weights but the 450 is at least a respectable 44’. You should probably get both as they are pretty different casting experiences. They are both easy to cast, but if you want something that is a tiny bit more of a bridge to a real short belly length line then go for the aero head. Doesn’t hurt that it is the least expensive option as well.

Or just take the leap and get a “real” short belly as gaelforce recently came out with a 460 gr 54’ equalizer. :hihi: That may be a bit of investment but will definelty put you in short belly heaven...when you are ready.

·
BULL DOG!!!!
1,760 Posts
Gaelforce also makes a Scandi head that would turn that outfit into a mini comp outfit.

·
One more cast...
99 Posts
Winston 6133

I tried a Nextcast FF55 450 grain on this rod last weekend and really liked it, but I’m also going to try a 475 grain in the same line once I get ahold of one. I’m thinking I’ll like the 475 more, but I like to feel the load more in general, so some people would be very happy with the 450 in my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts