Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In advance of buying a couple lines for the above rod, I'm wondering what folks are using on it. I'm looking for a mid/long belly for summer / fall fish (I know it's a bit heavy), and a Skagit for winter fishing. I know what Airflow and Rio recommend, but I'd like some input from others as well.

Many thanks,

Jim

·
Hopeless Romantic...
1,950 Posts
I try not to reply to tech posts I don't have direct info on, but since this is a fairly discrete rod, and no one else is responding, I'll give you a couple thoughts-

I have the 14' 8/9 B2x, it loves a 8/9 delta, it's so sweet on it, Iv'e never lined it up with anything else...

Your rod is a foot shorter...

You will likely be taxed with a long line on a 13' rod, not sure how long you are thinking but...

I'm assuming ( shouldn't, but I will) that this rod too is a true 8/9 and will like the same stuff my 14'er likes. Maybe a 8/9 CND , but I'd default to a delta style line were it me.

Good luck with the search-

·
Registered
205 Posts
You have a sweet rod there. I have casts this rod a little and have casts the BIIx 14' 8/9 a ton. I find the grain window to be very similiar between the two rods. 570 grains is the ticket on these rods in my hand.

Two of my favorite lines are the Ballestic Vector 8/9 at 570 grains and the Airflo Delta 8/9. My go to fishing set up is the 14' 8/9 rod with the Delta 8/9 Multi tip line. If I want a dry tip line, the Vector 8/9 is my choice. Both these lines are short head lines in the mid to upper 50s foot range. They will cast line a mid belly on the 13' rod.

Go out and have some fun with this rod.

Mark

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am with AK Caster on this one, the Vector 570 gr is money on the Winston.

I have also cast the Delta 8/9 on this rod, recently I have been playing with the BIII TH 13'6" 8, again the Vector as well as the Ballistic Express 530 grain are the Golden ticket. The express is a Scandi Style shooting head designed for a smooth powerful and consistent layout. Of course your mileage may vary depending on if you like heavier deep loading or lighter Indy car feel.

The great thing about the Winston's are they have a very generous grain weight window and will cast Skagits, Scandi's and Mid belly lines very well.

Have fun with the rod.

Todd

1 - 4 of 4 Posts